Sign in to follow this  
iceman77

How to set up a simple dedicated server on my machine via official launcher ??

Solved. The author of every guide I read assumed the reader knew what forwarding ports was and how it was done. Clearly, because that's why we're there reading the guide about setting up a server right?. The guides were very thorough otherwise. Call me a noob. W/e :p

Hi. I've tried running a dedicated server on my own machine via the official launcher and directly with arma3Server.exe. The server doesn't appear on the MP list, but it says the host was created. I'm missing something along the way. What other files are required and where do they go? I've read the wiki on dedicated servers. It's all too much for my needs. I simply want to use the default executable, to startup a simple dedicated server on my own machine to test scripts. I used to do it all the time very simply without a hassle, so I know it's supposed to be simple :p

Any help is appreciated. Cheers.

launcher

Message upon starting A3. I checked all profile files that i could find for read only. There were none. Then again I may have missed a few profile files along the way.

server.cfg (A3 main directory)

// STEAM
steamPort           = 	8766;  // default 8766, needs to be unique if multiple serves on same box
steamQueryPort      = 	27016; // default 27016, needs to be unique if multiple servers on same box

// GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname            = 	"BCM @ bcmArmaverse.com";    
password            = 	"1235";                       
passwordAdmin       = 	"";                         
logFile             = 	"arma3server.log";
verifySignatures    = 	2;    // Prevent players with unknown mods from joining the server (best kept at 2 if you want to reduce the number of hackers)
equalModRequired    = 	0;    // Prevent players who don't have the exact same mods as the server from joining (best kept at 0)
requiredSecureId    = 	2;    // was used to define type of secureID

// MOTD
motd[] =
{
"Welcome to an official BCM test server",
"TS3 Server: teamspeak.somewhere.com",
"Web: www.bcmArmaverse.com"
};

motdInterval        = 	5;       

// JOINING RULES
maxPlayers          = 	51;        // Maximum amount of players. Anybody who joins the server is considered a player, regardless of their role or team.
kickDuplicate       = 	1;         // Each player normally has its own unique ID. If set to 1, players with an ID that is identical to another player will be kicked
//requiredBuild     = 	12345;     // Require clients joining to have at least this build version of game, preventing obsolete clients to connect

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers  = 1;         
voteThreshold       = 0.33;      

// MISSIONS CYCLE
class Missions
{		
};

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN = 0;                  // If set to 1, voice chat will be disabled
vonCodecQuality = 10;            // Supports range 1-30; 8kHz is 0-10 (narrowband), 16kHz is 11-20 (wideband), 32kHz is 21-30 (ultrawideband); higher = better sound quality
persistent = 1;                  // If set to 1, missions will continue to run after all players have disconnected
timeStampFormat = "FULL";       // Set the timestamp format used on each line of the server RPT log file. Possible values are "none" (default), "short", "full".
BattlEye = 1;                    // If set to 0, BattlEye Anti-Cheat will be disabled on the server (not recommended)

// FILE EXTENSIONS
allowedLoadFileExtensions[] 		= 	{"hpp","sqs","sqf","fsm","cpp","paa","txt","xml","inc","ext","sqm","ods","fxy","lip","csv","kb","bik","bikb","html","htm","biedi"}; 
allowedPreprocessFileExtensions[] 	= 	{"hpp","sqs","sqf","fsm","cpp","paa","txt","xml","inc","ext","sqm","ods","fxy","lip","csv","kb","bik","bikb","html","htm","biedi"}; 
allowedHTMLLoadExtensions[] 		= 	{"htm","html","xml","txt"}; 

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";            // command to run when a player connects
onUserDisconnected = "";         // command to run when a player disconnects
doubleIdDetected = "";           // command to run if a player has the same ID as another player in the server

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";    // command to run if a player has unsigned data
onHackedData =  "kick (_this select 0)";     // command to run if a player has data with invalid signatures
onDifferentData = "";                        // command to run if a player has modified data
Edited by Iceman77

I've done this myself for testing my addons and keys. It's not too tricky.

I'm not using the launcher, just cfg files and some shortcuts.

Have you created a dedicated user profile for the server to run with?

I'll send you some details on my setup when I'm back at my pc tomorrow if you don't get it sorted by then.

I've solved the issue. My router recently took a crap and i guess that caused some problem with ports? Never messed with any ports and what not. Apparently I had to forward the ports. The tricky part was figuring out how exactly lol.

Oh right, nice one. I didn't bother with ports, I just connected via the LAN mechanism so it would have gone via local ip and bypassed the WAN.

Glad you it it sorted. I didn't realise it was ports you were having trouble with, I thought the server was t starting properly.

Nah it wouldn't show up on the server list. Even when I used TDSAT from scratch. Entered the ports to both my firewall and router and it's working thank goodness.

Right on. Where is the server browser mode options at? I see a remote button and that's it.

---------- Post added at 08:15 ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 ----------

Ahh in the upper right hand corner. Never knew that existed. It's on internet mode. Guess so others can see it and join? Anyhow, it's sorted.

Yeah, not very obvious is it?

It used to be that you could swap between gamespy and steam lists there instead. Also very non obvious.