Sign in to follow this  
rawalanche

Weapon inertia or Vsync lag

Hi,

i just installed ArmA 3 on new PC rig, which shoulf (hopefully) finally run it at acceptable framerate. However, when i jumped in the game, and tried to move around editor, while framerate was very smooth, i experienced very uncomfortable sort of mouse drift. Whenever i did some faster movement when looking around, or move mouse very slowly, i felt that crosshair drifted a little bit more than i moved my mouse. Vsync is definitely turned off, but i am still not sure if it's problem of weapon inertia introduced in one of the recent versions, or if it's hardware problem causing the lag.

Should weapon inertia behave this way? I would expect the weapon to somehow drift behind the crosshair, but crosshair should remain 1:1 to mouse movement, otherwise it will cause lots of headaches and impression that game input lags no matter what.

Hi,

... I would expect the weapon to somehow drift behind the crosshair, but crosshair should remain 1:1 to mouse movement...

And that's how it works.. I do not experience any lag at all. Unfortunately I have no idea what could cause that lag for.

Edited by R3vo

Yes,

sorry, i am a moron. I did not realize when reinstalling ArmA 3 via steam, that Steam would not sync my settings. I disabled mouse smoothing and all is good.

That being said, i am extremely disappointed by performance. I had Core i7 870, 16GB DDR3 and GTX660Ti, and i upgraded to 6core 5930k with 32GB DDR4 and GTX970, yet performance of first mission in second act (where you get flushed on the beach with just a pistol) is EXACTLY IDENTICAL to my old rig. It still runs under acceptable framerate (even when graphic settings menu shows some bogus wrong FPS count), and I am still unable to finish that mission simply because i just cant play it when it's so choppy :(

Yes,

sorry, i am a moron. I did not realize when reinstalling ArmA 3 via steam, that Steam would not sync my settings. I disabled mouse smoothing and all is good.

That being said, i am extremely disappointed by performance. I had Core i7 870, 16GB DDR3 and GTX660Ti, and i upgraded to 6core 5930k with 32GB DDR4 and GTX970, yet performance of first mission in second act (where you get flushed on the beach with just a pistol) is EXACTLY IDENTICAL to my old rig. It still runs under acceptable framerate (even when graphic settings menu shows some bogus wrong FPS count), and I am still unable to finish that mission simply because i just cant play it when it's so choppy :(

I assume you've got everything maxed out. But what about Viewdistance settings and Supersampling? Nonetheless, as far as I remember, this mission runs quite bad anyway.

No, actually it runs bad regardless of graphic settings. I use High preset BTW. It defaulted to Ultra after installation, but i switched it to high.

No, actually it runs bad regardless of graphic settings. I use High preset BTW. It defaulted to Ultra after installation, but i switched it to high.

The viewdistance eats alot of CPU horsepower, but if you've already tried to decrease it, with not effect, I guess it's the well known engine limitation then.

The viewdistance eats alot of CPU horsepower, but if you've already tried to decrease it, with not effect, I guess it's the well known engine limitation then.

Probably. I am just REALLY disappointed i cant not finish campaign. That particular mission is quite difficult, and watching rapid slideshow of still images instead of smooth continuous video just makes it impossible. And the more action happens, the lower framerate gets, so for me it's really impossible to focus on the game and get immersed.

Probably. I am just REALLY disappointed i cant not finish campaign. That particular mission is quite difficult, and watching rapid slideshow of still images instead of smooth continuous video just makes it impossible. And the more action happens, the lower framerate gets, so for me it's really impossible to focus on the game and get immersed.

Just out of curiosity, how much FPS do you get? Because, back when I played the mission, the FPS weren't that high, but it was still easiely playable.

The graphics settings screen is showing 50ish, but that's complete bogus... probably because going to menu pauses CPU-heavy operations of the game. When i tried to replicate same amount of fluidity by capping FPS in Unreal Engine, it was somewhere between 15-20 FPS to match the perceptual framerate of how ArmA runs in that particular mission.

The graphics settings screen is showing 50ish, but that's complete bogus... probably because going to menu pauses CPU-heavy operations of the game. When i tried to replicate same amount of fluidity by capping FPS in Unreal Engine, it was somewhere between 15-20 FPS to match the perceptual framerate of how ArmA runs in that particular mission.

15-20fps? That's by far too low, even for that mission. Something's really wrong...