Sign in to follow this  
digitalcenturion

Can I import a heightmap and set max and min elevation like in Visitor3?

I am having trouble getting my heightmap to work in TB. I have a source files that is 15k X 15k pixels that I've edited in Photoshop. It imports fine into L3DT.

But when I import the 8192x8192 sized hm in TB it gives extreme elevation differences -> Can I set min and max elevations like i do in V3 or L3DT?

If not, what is the proper method to export from L3Dt so TB understands it. WHen I exported a XYZ file with default settings it was 5gb large!!!

Thanks.

You can use l3dt's "Change Vertical range" and a very useful one for coasts, Clamp heightmap (under scripts menu)

Also, using 8192 grid its going to make your TB and buldozer cry... a lot.

Also, try using ASC format, they work well in TB too.

So 8192 x 8192 is no-go? Shame, want to make a 32x32km map, 8192 would make for a pretty decent terrain resolution...

Ok, exported from L3Dt as ASC, resized to 4096x4096 checked on export, but on importing into TB it says

Import - Zone of imported data is too far from project reference zone

Data cannot be imported

I use real coordinates for my map... how should i rectify this prolblem in L3DT?

So 8192 x 8192 is no-go? Shame, want to make a 32x32km map, 8192 would make for a pretty decent terrain resolution...

Ok, exported from L3Dt as ASC, resized to 4096x4096 checked on export, but on importing into TB it says

Import - Zone of imported data is too far from project reference zone

Data cannot be imported

I use real coordinates for my map... how should i rectify this prolblem in L3DT?

Ok that is one of the most frustrating issues that first time mappers have to deal with.

The fix its pretty easy at least.

On the Export options on L3DT, make sure of setting to False this option (on Export dialog):

ROWMeVh.jpg

Also works with XYZ and any other format.

Also, delete any file with the extension .PRJ that could be in the same folder of the heightmap, because it presence overwrites your heightmaps georeferencing settings (even if you disable them).

That should allow you to load any heightmap to the default mapframe zone.

Regarding the size, you could make a 4096x4096 with 8m cell (and thats still a pretty decent resolution) to get those 32km

Edited by MiauX

I still get the same error with that export setting.. Tho I am not using the default mapframe settings in TB - do I need to?

I wish I understood this better.

Then your georeferencing settings are somewhere, did you looked for the PRJ file?

And yes, for everything to work properly (road, etc) you need to use the default mapframe zone

Ok, redid so I use the default mapframe zone and the ASC file works... Now the next problem is I can't get satmap textures to show in Bulldozer.