Sign in to follow this  
silentghoust

Laser Guns? Proof of concept? WH40k

As the title suggest, I'm currently working on creating the imperial guard in Arma 3. I'm a 3d modeler however, and why I understand scripting and programming, I seldom can write raw code myself. I currently have aquired a full time job and found my free time to work on such a project much limited now. Limited to the point that I need to make sure that things like Lasguns are even possible within Arma 3. I had plenty of experience with other mod projects, and very aware of the pitfalls they hit. I rather hit those pitfalls now and take my modeling time to other mods, then later were I find myself months into a mod development that can never fully be realized.

So I come to the BI community once again, for your knowledge in both scripting/programming in Arma. I figured if I'm going so far to hand make all my models, I want the mod done right, that includes proper lasguns and the effects the WH40k universe has described them as such. For those not familier with the lasgun, it basicly fires a high intensity beam of light that vaporizes the surface of what it hits, causing a sort of mini explosion effect. The range on it depends on what lore source, but I put it about 300m before the beam is to weak to do damage. Also due to this property, it has no Armor pen abilities.

I know there is bullet tracing scripts out there, like

and I think it is the best start to making a proper lasgun.

The profile of the lasgun would be something like this.

• Beam is near instant
  • never drops
  • no spread
  • has a tiny HE at the end
  • never goes out beyond 300m.

Why the 300m part might not be as easy. I'm sure that some one could make a draw 3d at a 2 point set up, were it draws from point A(muzzle) to point B(Impact zone). As for adding this to the ammo type config, or some other source. That is beyond my skills as of current. Hence why I ask you guys if it is even possible. If it works, great expect Imperial Guard to show up on the forums in the month or so, if not. I'm sure I'll have other mods I can work on.

I also thank you for your time in helping me with this problem.

A better option would be to just change the speed and bullet model so that it looks like the Star Wars lasers. :) I would love to see some Republic Commando love if this actually goes anywhere this time. Good luck.

PS - Accurate, or rather inaccurate :P, storm troopers would be nice ;) .

A better option would be to just change the speed and bullet model so that it looks like the Star Wars lasers. :) I would love to see some Republic Commando love if this actually goes anywhere this time. Good luck.

PS - Accurate, or rather inaccurate :P, storm troopers would be nice ;) .

That would be the effect I wish to get starting at 8:35.

My idea isn't just to throw Warhammer 40k models and replace Arma 3 stuff. I wan't to actually create things based on both Arma 3 balance and Warhammer 40k lore. So the lasgun itself, would be a new tool for players to try out. Offer them to compare what laser weapons are like vs projectile weapons(autoguns in Warhammer 40k).

For example

Lasgun pros - lighter ammo, HE shot that cut down infantry with ease, dead on accurate.

cons - limited range, no penetration abilities, easy to spot the user due to laser trail.

Autogun pros - Longer range, penetration, no tracers to locate shooter

cons - heavier ammo, not as versatile against infantry and ligth skinned targets, not as accurate.

All the sudden you now have a new projectile in the game. Making it something more then just a lasgun with regular NATO ammo and some fancy tracer replacement. I just feel that the only way, to truly make the idea of a Warhammer 40k mod appealing to both the milsim community, and the regular fanbase.

I'm not even looking for some one to actually create the whole weapon config, just a small sample of simply displaying that the desired special effect is possible.

Edited by silentghoust

Never was a big fan of Warhammer 40K, but nevertheless good luck in your project.

Scifi mods like ours can make Arma simulations more interesting.

There is already a laser-ammo class ingame in the config:

class Laserbeam: Default
{
	hit = 500;
	indirectHit = 150;
	indirectHitRange = 2.5;
	model = "\A3\weapons_f\empty";
	simulation = "laserDesignate";
	simulationStep = 0.1;
	cost = 5000;
	timeToLive = 0;
	soundHit[] = {"",19.952627,1,1500};
	soundFly[] = {"",0.0001,4};
	maxSpeed = 350;
	irLock = 1;
	manualControl = 1;
	maxControlRange = 0;
	aiRateOfFire = 0;
	aiRateOfFireDistance = 500;
	initTime = 0;
	maneuvrability = 0;
};

Maybe it will help you. It does a ton of direct and indirect (=HE) damage :cool: