Sign in to follow this  
CyDoNgr

Wind and immersion

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20888

I know wind will play a role mostly in the DLC of Helicopters and DLC Marksmen but still wind is something that gives life to a world.

I belive BIS should add some graphical module so u can have wind appear maybe add dust affect the rain and a the most important a sound effect based on wind. Even if the wind is in full there is no actual representation of it.

I believe its easy to implement and it will rise the immersion.

Edited by Gamermanas

Yep, wind really needs some work. Especially the sound that is just a stereo sample. If you turn, the sound turns with you. Not really immersive...

A dust effect would be extremely cool!

There are some script commands to set wind.

setWind & setWindForce. but these commands are rather useless.

Wind in arma has no effect on object. so i dont get the point in thouse commands. "unless they plan on improving them"

It would be nice if wind would affect vehicles such as Planes, Helicopters and Boats.

Example. have some crosswind when trying to land a plane, make boats drift at sea with wind, basic things that happens in real life.

If they plan on improving the wind in arma3. I will be verry disappointed if they only make wind affect helicopters when the dlc hits the fans.

Wind should affect Helis/Jets on dev build, if you turn it on in the options (the advanced flight model). EDIT: But after a quick test, I'm not sure.

Wind has definitely effect on clouds, wind noise, gras, trees and rain direction... sea?

setWindStr/setWindforce (both the same I think, and typically used) does not have much effect, setWind Array is a bit broken, but can bring insane amounts of wind making the tree and grass models flat. try "setwind [200,200,true]" and see the clouds moving :)... values are in m/s here.

Edited by tortuosit

Yes the precence of the wind is very low on audio side and even bit some more visual things would be welcome. Here's a very known scale how to estimate wind http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale It's very handy if you need to estimate the wind but you can't see it from any data.