Sign in to follow this  
Bucic

SSAO is barely noticeable even when maxed

Nothing new

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159599-%28SSAO%29-Ambient-Occlusion-Video-Setting&highlight=ssao

I just didn't want to necromance the old thread.

Are there any plans to (drastically) improve upon it?

Are you aware of a fact that the effect should be very subtle? SSAO is not a wow-effect type of thing. It is more like a finishing touch to the overly great picture that makes things looking more photo-realistic if used right.

I consider SSAO to be superior to now used, too explicit HDAO/HBAO.

I'm comparing HDAO,Hence the title, vs disabled, sunny day, buildings and scraps plus my weapon. The difference is barely noticeable even with a side by side sshot comparison. So it's not subtle but rather barely noticeable. Hence the title. And yes, I'm aware of how it should look like and how it looks like in other games.

I could swear it was easily noticeable before recent patches. I'll post some screenshots lat

Edited by Bucic

I'm comparing HDAO,Hence the title, vs disabled, sunny day, buildings and scraps plus my weapon. The difference is barely noticeable even with a side by side sshot comparison. So it's not subtle but rather barely noticeable. Hence the title. And yes, I'm aware of how it should look like and how it looks like in other games.

I could swear it was easily noticeable before recent patches. I'll post some screenshots lat

Could you please post an example (screenshot) of a game where it is according to your taste? Thank you.

Could you please post an example (screenshot) of a game where it is according to your taste? Thank you.

I won't because I know where this is going :) I'll post in-arms shots. Stay tuned.

OK, there you go. A set of shots plus my current settings. Please note the file names. 'SSAOmax' means HDAO. I've tested also the regular SSAO at high but it wasn't much more eviden't either so I didn't make a separate set of shots for it. As for the 'it was more apparent before recent updates' - I'm pretty sure I could see the difference right away. I specifically recall that I've noticed that some SSAO settings made even grass patches and minor bushes oclude the nearest surroundings/ground.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=66CF2646234394FC!24510&authkey=!AJnx2FgJn7RQ60M&ithint=folder%2cjpg

Radeon 6850

Windows 7 x64

latest catalyst, defaults

OK, there you go. A set of shots plus my current settings. Please note the file names. 'SSAOmax' means HDAO. I've tested also the regular SSAO at high but it wasn't much more eviden't either so I didn't make a separate set of shots for it. As for the 'it was more apparent before recent updates' - I'm pretty sure I could see the difference right away. I specifically recall that I've noticed that some SSAO settings made even grass patches and minor bushes oclude the nearest surroundings/ground.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=66CF2646234394FC!24510&authkey=!AJnx2FgJn7RQ60M&ithint=folder%2cjpg

Radeon 6850

Windows 7 x64

latest catalyst, defaults

It is definitely barely noticeable when we ignore buildings.