Sign in to follow this  
blackpixxel

Disable Zeroing of optical sights for a weapon

Hi, I have a short question:

Arma 3's sights are all zero'd for certain disances (Holosoght for 200m, ARCO for 300m, ...).

I am creating a weapon that fires at a very low muzzle velocity (~400m/s) which results in a very pronounced bullet drop even at 200m. When I now attach a holosight the bullet would hit the target at 200m if I aim directly at it, but If I would shoot a target at 100m I have to aim significantly below the target because the bullet flies over the line of sight at this point.

Is it possible to avoid this by disabling the weapon zeroing when a sight gets attached?

Thank you for your help!

option 1: create custom sights that only fit your weapon...

Thank you for your answers.

For some reasons maxZeroing does not work. I set it to 100m, but the Optics will still shift the point of impact upwards in close ranges, so zeroing is still affected by them. Sniper scopes with adjustable zeroing will also work.

Do I need something else to let this work?

Thank you for your answers.

For some reasons maxZeroing does not work. I set it to 100m, but the Optics will still shift the point of impact upwards in close ranges, so zeroing is still affected by them. Sniper scopes with adjustable zeroing will also work.

Do I need something else to let this work?

Hi, so quick ballistics lesson. When a gun is zeroed to say 300m, the bullet arcs to hit center at that range kind of like artillery. so when you take a gun that is zeroed for 300m and shoot at a 200m target the bullet will actually hit high, because the sights are set to shoot at 300m. That arc will land the bullet high at closer ranges. the only way to negate this effect is to have a flat trajectory, which in arma 3 is set by having a high bullet speed. This creates less of an arc so that the bullet doesnt hit nearly as high at closer ranges when zeroed for further ranges. Now for you, because you are using such a low velocity the bullet arc to hit the target as say 200m is going to be much more drastic causing your gun to appear to be shooting very high when you engage at close ranges. So this is not a bug or anything that can be say "fixed" as the bullet and trajectory are actually preforming correctly. Id suggest increasing your guns velocity to see if you can get a better sweet spot where the round has a better flight path. Good Luck!!

I know that everything behaves correctly and that it is not a bug. But to avoid this high arc when I use optics with high minimum zeroing (300+ m) I wanted the scope zeroing and use the weapons 100m default zeroing instead. But sadly there is no function like this. But hey, who uses a 85x scope to shoot slugs with a shotgun?

yeah the best i could say is use the MK17 SMG sights or something. i think they are zeroed for 200m instead, either that or make your own to go with the gun mod. You could even take the sights you are trying to use currently, open em up and edit them to have a different zero, repackage with different name and different texture (maybe, if youd like) and put all that into your mod! :D lot of extra work tho