Sign in to follow this  
John C Flett

So what do we think?

My first poll so forgive me if it doesn't work but here goes...

Well, I just wanted to say I was looking forward to Resistance and I'm glad to say in most respects it has exceeded my expectations.

The world feels so much more solid and the new towns are great. The view distance slider is a great feature though on the whole the improved graphics don't make any obvious difference in game. If I compare shots side by side I can see it but in game...no matter.

The first few missions have been fun and they've made a much better job of the voice recording this time. Though why does eastern european ( I assume ) Victor Troska sound so much like Pierce Brosnan?

Overall then, better than I hoped.

Your thoughts please.

Im really happy with OFP Resistance. Great improving in the graphics, add-ons and multiplayer experience. OFP was a very good game and they've made it better biggrin.gif.

The new island, Nogova, is really wonderful eheh. I really love how they done this and in the next days it will get even better(wait for the big dedicated servers to get on 1.75 and you'll see how cool it will be biggrin.gif)

Go buy this NOW!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My only gripe is that I was expecting more addons for the Russians and the Resistance but that still doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it and put your money to good use.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know about anybody else, but there is a difference between the islands in SP and MP, SP islands have a lot more detail at full res than they do on MP, i looked at my own island that i am making and was totally blown away by the improvements, i looked in editor and messed about, but when i went to multiplayer it was much and such the same as it had been on 1.46.....Anyway thank you BIS i love it anyway biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 29 2002,11:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i thnk the motorbike is fantastic   and died 3 times on it lol<span id='postcolor'>

why am i not surprised? tounge.gif

I voted for why bother... becasue i think you can imporve a game but they cant easly impress me with just better graphics

new campain and just a little more units and weapons and only some new things you can do. You still cant have two people fire from one vehical at the same time you still cant have people on a moving object they didnt improve the mission editor so that the object squares are the size of the item you putting in place. These are simple things but then again so is everything in resistance only with one new island that can be made with Wrpedit and the handguns and new vehicals that can be made with oxygen, The Medicore campain that could be made with a few good mission makers and scripters nothing that couldnt be made if the proper tools were handed out in time makeing the expansion pack obsoleet

this is why i gave it that rateing

Resistance is great. Things I've found noteworthy (both good and bad) :

Great graphics. I have to use "high" terrain detail (you'll need a P4 1.5GHz+ to get "very high" to work well). The ups and downs when you run across a field are quite realistic. It's also great to frequently loose sight of your fellow soldiers behind terrain as you move across an open field. You will have to be much more cautious in battle from now on.

As a note, I found a great improvement in fps by adjusting the view distance. At 1000m I had 10-18 fps. At 750m I had 22-30 fps. 750m still gives a very realistic view of the world.

My system is a PIII 933MHz, i815EP chipset mobo, 512M PC133 SDRAM, Geforce4 Ti 4200 with Detonator 28.42 driver.

Faster actions. Putting weapons on your back, reloading, getting up and down, and running are much faster. Almost the 2x speed in the old OFP. It takes a little getting used to due to long familiarity with OFP. There are some down sides to it however. I had to shoot someone on a motorcycle and he just about teleports to the ground. It happens so quickly there is no real falling. Looks a bit like a shortcut by BIS on the animations. Pity.

The motorcycle is very cool, especially the leaning on cornering. It goes outrageously fast and you can easily flip it and kill yourself. The shadow of the wheel turning is very realistic. A down side is that it's just to fast!

Headlights are done much more realistically. It really does look like headlights at night.

Trees are lovely although the conifer forests doen't feel as dense as in OFP.

Putting weapons down realy works. The weapon can be seen on the ground so you can move over to it and pick it up. You'll have to be more eagle-eyed in future.

The sounds are much nicer although the reload sounds worse in my opinion.

I also suspect aiming is more accurate and the damage of weapons has been increased but that could be my imagination.

Lots more good things to report, but what about the bad things?

I would advise all of you to uninstall OFP and Red Hammer and start a fresh install (preferably in a new folder). This was the only thing I could do to get Resistance to work.

The biggest bug so far is that if you want to load a different mission by going to the Home screen, you have to quit the game and start again. This is because the second time you go to a home screen, the program slows down to molases speed. If you perservier, I get strange multicoloured blocks on the Missions screen and all the writing goes fuzzy. Things get worse to the point of crashing. If I alt-tab my FreeMem Pro tells me I have adequate RAM left so I'm not sure what's going on here. This is first on my patch list!

Another annoyance is that the -nosplash flag has been inactivated. You'll have to get used to sitting through all those splash screens EVERY time. grrrr I bet that was a CM decision. mad.gif

You can still fall through walls and very easily out of balconies.

I'm yet to play the campaign and experienc the audio looping and random crashing but I expect to confused.gif

But for the moment, the first single player mission is an absolute dream biggrin.gif

I'm sure many of these bugs will be fixed (hopefully soon). Overall this is a marvelous improvement. A whole new game really. Much thanks BIS.

Alx

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RPG @ June 30 2002,05:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I voted for why bother... becasue i think you can imporve a game but they cant easly impress me with just better graphics

new campain and just a little more units and weapons and only some new things you can do. You still cant have two people fire from one vehical at the same time you still cant have people on a moving object they didnt improve the mission editor so that the object squares are the size of the item you putting in place. These are simple things but then again so is everything in resistance only with one new island that can be made with Wrpedit and the handguns and new vehicals  that can be made with oxygen, The Medicore campain that could be made with a few good mission makers and scripters nothing that couldnt be made if the proper tools were handed out in time makeing the expansion pack obsoleet

this is why i gave it that rateing<span id='postcolor'>

Excuse me? Have you even touched this game?

Every single thing you mentioned in this post is such utter bullcrap. Let's have ourselves a lil bit of fun and start from the top tounge.gif

- Why did they stick to "just better graphics

new campain and just a little more units and weapons and only some new things you can do"? Maybe because it's an addon and not a whole friggin new game? confused.gif

And err ... "just"?? This is the biggest addon I've seen for any game ... EVER. I challenge you to name one game that got a bigger addon (so not a full-priced standalone)

- Oh my god ... still not able to fire from vehicles with more than 1 person and no ability to walk around on moving objects!

Well good morning Einstein ... these things would require a whole new engine. Kinda hard to do that in an addon dont ya think? tounge.gif

If they are such simple things ... I challenge you to make an engine where you can walk around in/on moving objects. This is one of the hardest things you can do, since collision detection on moving objects in a game is a real horror.

- The new island ... gee that could've been made by any monkey with WRPedit out there, right?

Errr ... have you even seen the island ingame? Such an extremely detailed 100 sq km island took the professional island-makers @ BIS about 6 months of full-time work ... no way a user-based project will ever be of a quality remotely close to this.

- And last but not least ... the wonderful "mediocre campaign" statement confirms that you havent even been near this game. The new campaign is even better than the original 1985 campaign. If you know a campaign superiour to the Resistance, or even the 1985 campaign ... please do give me a link to it ... I'm dying to see it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sith @ June 30 2002,12:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RPG @ June 30 2002,05:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I voted for why bother... becasue i think you can imporve a game but they cant easly impress me with just better graphics

new campain and just a little more units and weapons and only some new things you can do. You still cant have two people fire from one vehical at the same time you still cant have people on a moving object they didnt improve the mission editor so that the object squares are the size of the item you putting in place. These are simple things but then again so is everything in resistance only with one new island that can be made with Wrpedit and the handguns and new vehicals  that can be made with oxygen, The Medicore campain that could be made with a few good mission makers and scripters nothing that couldnt be made if the proper tools were handed out in time makeing the expansion pack obsoleet

this is why i gave it that rateing<span id='postcolor'>

Excuse me? Have you even touched this game?

Every single thing you mentioned in this post is such utter bullcrap. Let's have ourselves a lil bit of fun and start from the top tounge.gif

- Why did they stick to "just better graphics

new campain and just a little more units and weapons and only some new things you can do"? Maybe because it's an addon and not a whole friggin new game? confused.gif

And err ... "just"?? This is the biggest addon I've seen for any game ... EVER. I challenge you to name one game that got a bigger addon (so not a full-priced standalone)

- Oh my god ... still not able to fire from vehicles with more than 1 person and no ability to walk around on moving objects!

Well good morning Einstein ... these things would require a whole new engine. Kinda hard to do that in an addon dont ya think? tounge.gif

If they are such simple things ... I challenge you to make an engine where you can walk around in/on moving objects. This is one of the hardest things you can do, since collision detection on moving objects in a game is a real horror.

- The new island ... gee that could've been made by any monkey with WRPedit out there, right?

Errr ... have you even seen the island ingame? Such an extremely detailed 100 sq km island took the professional island-makers @ BIS about 6 months of full-time work ... no way a user-based project will ever be of a quality remotely close to this.

- And last but not least ... the wonderful "mediocre campaign" statement confirms that you havent even been near this game. The new campaign is even better than the original 1985 campaign. If you know a campaign superiour to the Resistance, or even the 1985 campaign ... please do give me a link to it ... I'm dying to see it.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah sith, tell that monkey who's a fool. smile.gif

Sith, where in Holland did you get your hands on Resistance? I can't find it anywhere yet confused.gif

Try the new-and-improved Placydill ...

It really works!

Before, I had a really bad temper and trampled many innocent lil RPGs.

But now I use Avon's Placydill, I feel much better and spend my days eating yummy grass and giving nutricious milk to all the little trolls on the OFP forums tounge.gif

Redstorm: Check the credits at the start of the campaign when you (finally) get your copy next week smile.gif

ARGH,, wow.gifwow.gif im still waiting for mine in the post,, it was dispatched 1am sunday (today OOOPs) and should be in my letterbox at 8am monday morn..

i love royal mail!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.giftounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sith @ June 30 2002,13:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Before, I had a really bad temper and trampled many innocent lil RPGs.

But now I use Avon's Placydill, I feel much better and spend my days eating yummy grass and giving nutricious milk to all the little trolls on the OFP forums tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sith, during a rare break from OFP

ROFL!

No that's where I keep my computer ... and I just opened to door to let some fresh air in my OFP/Toilet/Shower/Kitchen/Bedroom combo-thing wink.gif

The guy in the longname-combo-thing next to me is DnA, who lives on the toxic fumes coming rom his OC-ed CPU and thus never lets any fresh air in smile.gif

If tools were handed out in time in the right place and if people worked together it would make this expansion pack look half-assed. BIS still wants the spare change in you pockets buy not handing out the tools to the right people so they can look like the saviors by makeing a couple more "expansions" why some people that have talent just have to end up "buying or dying" for these new patches that dont update things but just add some new weapons and units.

1 year from now there will be version 3.50 and there are 4,000 jets for the west and only 10 for east while people say screaming "THEN DONT DOWNLOAD IT!" while evey time you join a crapy multiplayer game you need to download [uBL]'s Crap Ass Airplane Addon 500 MEGS of retextured SU25's... And eveytime a good addon comes out BIS wants it in there next patch becasue its the heat... There will be mods for mods and BIS will get sued by every Gamemaker becasue There is a "Half-Life" Mod or the next nothing to do with Operatation Flashpoint game... You say it cant be done but it can be done stope wasteing damn time on these Ailiens Mods and invest time on what BIS is doing but there seems to be a fog of greed and BIS would crap there pants if people accualy had freedom to make good Addons and Mods that had something to do with Modern Warfare...What pisses me off it that all these addon makes Put there damn tags on units. I want the milltary name of the vehical insted of a damn list of

Tags and simple names of vehcials "[Crap Clan] Light Tank"

OFP is going to Fall It will Turn Into Swat 3 Mixed With Counter Strike... BIS will suck you dry then people will start makeing good addons and missions once the tools are realsed to the public and then you will know the gem of not having to buy something thats accualy good BIS will run out out of ideas and The Community Will be makeing addons and missions just as good as BIS can that "YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR" So then BIS says were loseing money becasue there just as good as the comuntiys addons and missions so they will leave us to make a new game While we wasted all  of our time being good useing wrpedit and oxygen and now its worthless..

1.) The 1.30 Patch had more improvment then Resistance

2.) I respect the skill put into the Game Engine For OFP but if they thought "Oh these are to hard lets not put them in the game" That pretty dumb

3.) Less Then 5 People Worked on all these new islands you see and there just sharpeing there skills remember No One Took 6 Months To Make Islands Like Orangeland  and tokguwa I know theys used textures that were already made but these maps are really good and the people who made them worked hard for 5-10 weaks if you got some scripters and more map makers you can make a really really good island

4.) Same As Above you just need people that want to work on one mission that is good instead of many just for "fun" or "playing" Missions with talking voices music scenes I think it can be done i have lots of confindence in the mission makeing people...

I really want to keep OFP going strong its a great game but i trust the comunity more then BIS...

Let me ask you one simple question ...

How often have you played Resistance?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RPG @ June 30 2002,14:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If tools were handed out in time in the right place and if people worked together it would make this expansion pack look half-assed. BIS still wants the spare change in you pockets buy not handing out the tools to the right people so they can look like the saviors by makeing a couple more "expansions" why some people that have talent just have to end up "buying or dying" for these new patches that dont update things but just add some new weapons and units.

1 year from now there will be version 3.50 and there are 4,000 jets for the west and only 10 for east while people say screaming "THEN DONT DOWNLOAD IT!" while evey time you join a crapy multiplayer game you need to download [uBL]'s Crap Ass Airplane Addon 500 MEGS of retextured SU25's... And eveytime a good addon comes out BIS wants it in there next patch becasue its the heat... There will be mods for mods and BIS will get sued by every Gamemaker becasue There is a "Half-Life" Mod or the next nothing to do with Operatation Flashpoint game... You say it cant be done but it can be done stope wasteing damn time on these Ailiens Mods and invest time on what BIS is doing but there seems to be a fog of greed and BIS would crap there pants if people accualy had freedom to make good Addons and Mods that had something to do with Modern Warfare...What pisses me off it that all these addon makes Put there damn tags on units. I want the milltary name of the vehical insted of a damn list of

Tags and simple names of vehcials "[Crap Clan] Light Tank"

OFP is going to Fall It will Turn Into Swat 3 Mixed With Counter Strike... BIS will suck you dry then people will start makeing good addons and missions once the tools are realsed to the public and then you will know the gem of not having to buy something thats accualy good BIS will run out out of ideas and The Community Will be makeing addons and missions just as good as BIS can that "YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR" So then BIS says were loseing money becasue there just as good as the comuntiys addons and missions so they will leave us to make a new game While we wasted all  of our time being good useing wrpedit and oxygen and now its worthless..

1.) The 1.30 Patch had more improvment then Resistance

2.) I respect the skill put into the Game Engine For OFP but if they thought "Oh these are to hard lets not put them in the game" That pretty dumb

3.) Less Then 5 People Worked on all these new islands you see and there just sharpeing there skills remember No One Took 6 Months To Make Islands Like Orangeland  and tokguwa I know theys used textures that were already made but these maps are really good and the people who made them worked hard for 5-10 weaks if you got some scripters and more map makers you can make a really really good island

4.) Same As Above you just need people that want to work on one mission that is good instead of many just for "fun" or "playing" Missions with talking voices music scenes I think it can be done i have lots of confindence in the mission makeing people...

I really want to keep OFP going strong its a great game but i trust the comunity more then BIS...<span id='postcolor'>

ah,, shut the hell up,, how do you know BIS are coporate shills? wow.gif

you are just a spoilt little child, who wants wants wants, BIS worked 4 years to get this game out, they developed there OWN tools to make this game and i would stand by there decision not to release them.

games like CS and Hal-life spawn thousands of SHITE mods and addons, that make it hard to stay up to date. CS and Half-life are also FULL of cheaters.

CODEMASTERS are the enemy here, they are the ones making the Executive decisions, and they are the ones you should be FLAMING.. sad.gifsad.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ June 30 2002,14:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">games like CS and Hal-life spawn thousands of SHITE mods and addons, that make it hard to stay up to date. CS and Half-life are also FULL of cheaters.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm nope i admin a Server and over the last 6 months we hav had only 5 cheaters. Cs aint the only mod and halflife has been pushed to its limits and beyond, look at DoD there putting more and more stuff into it now. Plz dont bash Halflife as its one of the most revolutionary games to date.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rhubarbman @ June 30 2002,13:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cpl_BOB @ June 30 2002,14:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">games like CS and Hal-life spawn thousands of SHITE mods and addons, that make it hard to stay up to date. CS and Half-life are also FULL of cheaters.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm nope i admin a Server and over the last 6 months we hav had only 5 cheaters. Cs aint the only mod and halflife has been pushed to its limits and beyond, look at DoD there putting more and more stuff into it now. Plz dont bash Halflife as its one of the most revolutionary games to date.<span id='postcolor'>

well, the fact he's comparing these games to ofp is ludicrous,, SO understand why i defend ofp, IT IS THE BETTER GAME, and was in development BEFORE Half-life was released. (if im not corrected?)

So dont start the Whole Hal-life is revolutionary Crap.

ummm sith what you said about more then 1 person firing from a vehicle aint 100% true...it wont take a whole new engine to do so. But it would take a lot of time for rewriting large parts of the engine. But if BIS really wants it, it can be done

I don't know why people keep saying -nosplash doesn't work any more. Works fine for me.

What do I think?

OFPR isn't anything more than a couple of addons (almost nearing community quality), a couple new features (such has having the engine process higher resolution terrain data *which by the way has allready had trial runs in the .wrp editing community* and some menu settings that allow the user to change the "setviewdistance" command without having o through every every single mission and edit it manually. Hence, everyone that could run OFP without probs on their systems now have a lovely slide show.

1 example: I've got a pretty kickass system, 1.4GHZ, 512 ram, etc, geforce 3 etc and on the 1st SP mission I think (you're part of an armoured infantry squad), I decide to set my terrain quality slider (with the normal 788 viewdistance, 6,6 image quality etc) to "HIGH" and BAMN........ slideshow effect. This is on pretty damn flat terrain, with only about 2 bushes visible and looking at the side of a hilside, hence no background apart from the ground right in front of ya. So after staring at this un-optimised crap, I crank it down again and carry on.

No wonder they didn't release the modding tools to the community.....it might have surfaced that .... holy crap batman.... the community would have long since overtaken them in the std of quality of work that was being pumped out.....thus resulting in half baked addons like resistance showing their true metal and not selling well.

And WTF is up with the reports of some half-a$$ bugs like the grenade launcher and m16 having mixed up sounds?? I mean, its been out 3 days and allready silly crap like this is surfacing. How bloody long did they have time to finish this??

But hey, this post will probably not live long (go on moderator, you kow you want to protect BIS' precious interests and eradicate a little post like this) and BIS will still continue to pump out half a$$ed addons (using us as beta testers for their flag ship, Mr. VBS) and people will still continue buying em.

Something seems to be wrong with your system regarding the slideshow you get with settings lower than mine, although your system is faster than what i have at my disposal (Duron 1200/384MB RAM/Geforce 3 TI200).

I play with a viewdistance of 1000m, max. image quality  except terrain detail which is set "only" high (which isn´t flat btw), plus additonal "external" tweaks that cost performance.

So far only a mission bug stopped me, not the framerate.

You´ve forgot to list new lighting effects, new terrain algorythm, new animations, new gameplay functions, improved multiplayer... things that go beyond just a couple of new higher res. textures.

I´m surely one of the greatest complainers and critics of Flashpoint in the "realism" department, and there is alot to complain about... like things that need adressing but didn´t get any for a year now, for example it seems more important to BIS to implement large pools of blood in OFP:R when someone is killed, than to have real improvements like better sound- for each vehicle and unit an unique one!, improved explosions (note the faked picture on the product box! ) and everything else regarding bugs and issues most people complained about...i didn´t hear anyone wanting urgently gore and a bloodier OFP experience. These are missed priorities in my oppinion, but the addon is surely not as bad as you are trying to make it.

As for the "modding community" movement, there is no such thing in terms of a combined effort, it´s rather a long lists of individualists having no sense in pulling off a greater combined achivement with goal of an all around Flashpoint improvement, that is why it will never conflict or threaten BIS´s buisness.

Out of maybe 1000 Flashpoint addons i have about 10-12 addons that are really great with higher quality than BIS delivered, the rest ...hmm confused.gif