Sign in to follow this  
roadster213

WEIRD fps drop.

Game normally runs at 60 fps. Then after a few minutes, regardless of what I am doing (even standing still) it will drop down to 40 FPS. While this is happening, if I press "/" to open up the chat, it goes back up to 60. Press "enter" to close the chat, and it's back down to 40. Press "escape" to bring up the menu, back to 60. "escape" to close the menu, back to 40. I don't get it, it's INCREDIBLY annoying. I know I should be getting 60 FPS constantly. There is no reason why at 40 fps, it would go up to 60 just by opening the chat. There is a bug or flaw that has not been addressed. Is there a fix or workaround for this problem? I've seen this exact same scenario mentioned a year ago and NO ONE addressed it whatsoever, so I am expecting the same to be done to me. Feels like I got cheated out of $60.

A video of the problem can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXooKcWPAGg

I would say, you must be new here. But you are new. :p So, anyways, welcome to Arma. This is normal. Arma does not run at high FPS readily. If you get 60FPS initially when in a mission, congrats, but do not expect it to stay that way.

Onto your FPS change bug. This is not a bug, this is your software that reads FPS. What happens is your game will run in the background. When you open chat, it pops an overlay that runs on top of the game. So when you think you are getting 60FPS while in the chat mode, you are not. This is just your software seeing that the overlay is running at 60FPS while the main game behind it continues to run at the normal framerate (aka around 40 in your case).

If you are concerned that your computer may not be good enough because it is only running at 40FPS, do not worry. There is not a single computer in the world that can run Arma at all times at 60FPS. 40FPS (especially at night) means your computer is very good. I personally get similar frames.

You are wrong. If I am driving a vehicle with the chat closed, I notice it running poorly at 40 fps. If I open the chat and let the vehicle drift on its own, the vehicle drives much smoother and fraps properly reports the 60 fps. It is not an overlay problem, Direct3d hooks do not work that way anyways. Opening the chat is a VISIBLE improvement in fps. This is a bug in ARMA that needs to be addressed. Also, please don't speak factually when you are only just assuming that you know the answer. Is there no workaround to this so that I can maintain my proper FPS? Why does opening the chat or any menu cause the FPS to go up, or more correctly, why does NOT having the chat or menu open cause my FPS to drop?

Edited by roadster213

I just had a look at that video and it seems like the detail level changes when the chat is opened. Perhaps that is why the fps changes. Can you confirm this?

The detail level pop-in is always there regardless of whether I toggle the chat or not and has nothing to do with the FPS drop. I turned off vsync and noticed that with the chat open, I get 110 FPS, with it closed I get 45. This is definitely a bug that I would like fixed.

You are correct hannsl that Arma3 will change quality settings (or at least appear to) when going into the escape menu. I have not noticed this for the chat window, just the escape menu. Could be a filter rather than actually changing the quality levels.

roadster, I will not try and argue my reasoning because I know it will be fruitless. All I will say is that Bohemia is not likely to fix this. This is a very small quirk (hardly a bug) compared to everything else that is still wrong within the game. I am curious why this matters so much to you. It will not affect gameplay, recordings, or anything else to my knowledge.

How or why it matters to me is none of your concern, but clearly I wouldn't be making this thread if it didn't. It's fruitless because you were proven wrong and your ego couldn't handle it. When opening up chat, my FPS skyrockets. There is a bug that causes FPS to drop when you aren't in these menus. Opening up small GUI elements does the same thing, it's not just going to the main or chat menus. You just can't accept that you were incorrect in your assumption which you played off as a fact. You also seem to have a false sense of understanding by claiming that Bohemia is not likely to fix this. I never asked them to. Which is why I asked for a workaround multiple times from someone who has hopefully fixed this issue for themselves. Now as a last ditch effort you are trying to shut my thread down by saying nothing can be done and that a drop from 110 fps to 40 is a "very small quirk" (what a STUPID statement). Please remove yourself immediately while I try to seek knowledge from more worthwhile individuals, because clearly you aren't worth listening to. Thanks.

Well, I apologize for trying to help out. If you have any other issues with the game, be sure to let me know. I strive to help people out where I can. Im sorry that I do not have a work around for you.

How or why it matters to me is none of your concern, but clearly I wouldn't be making this thread if it didn't. It's fruitless because you were proven wrong and your ego couldn't handle it. When opening up chat, my FPS skyrockets. There is a bug that causes FPS to drop when you aren't in these menus. Opening up small GUI elements does the same thing, it's not just going to the main or chat menus. You just can't accept that you were incorrect in your assumption which you played off as a fact. You also seem to have a false sense of understanding by claiming that Bohemia is not likely to fix this. I never asked them to. Which is why I asked for a workaround multiple times from someone who has hopefully fixed this issue for themselves. Now as a last ditch effort you are trying to shut my thread down by saying nothing can be done and that a drop from 110 fps to 40 is a "very small quirk" (what a STUPID statement). Please remove yourself immediately while I try to seek knowledge from more worthwhile individuals, because clearly you aren't worth listening to. Thanks.

Have you considered that maybe your FPS isn't dropping when in game, but rather its just normal, and when you open up the menu your FPS rises above normal. Maybe because the game knows that it doesn't have to worry about you changing direction and having to render an entirely new picture, or any user input that might effect the gameworld. Just brainstorming, I am obviously not overly knowledgeable.

Personally I think its your recording/FPS tracking software, because when I try this I don't see the difference in FPS you do. And you're receiving exactly 60fps (often set as the max recording FPS in fraps/bandicam). That suggests that that maybe the number shown is representative of what FPS your video recording is, not actually the FPS ingame. But hey I am no expert. I don't claim to have any facts. Does it happen when your not recording?

If the change in FPS is a big enough deal for you to make this thread, would you be happy, if BIS simply chopped off 20FPS when you enter the menu/chat. That's probably the best they can do. I seriously doubt BI would just let 20FPS go down the drain like that if they could help it. And they are the experts

I'm unsure what exactly you hope to achieve in this thread since you "never asked them to (fix it)" and you treat the people that are trying to help you with total disrespect and ungratefulness.

But good luck.

Well, I apologize for trying to help out. If you have any other issues with the game, be sure to let me know. I strive to help people out where I can. Im sorry that I do not have a work around for you.

Haha, I know what you're really thinking:).

I already mentioned in this thread that it is a VISIBLE improvement in frames. And it happens regardless of whether I am running recording software or not. For example, I am riding in the back of a truck while my friend is driving and talking and the game is running choppy. I press / to bring up the chat, now I can see the game running smooth as butter while he continues to drive and talk. This is a bug, and you give Bohemia far too much credit. I'm not in the mood to have someone lie to me about how the chat and menu are considered separate overlays by recording software, which is why I was ungrateful. Also your line about saying that BIS should just simply trim 20fps is almost as ignorant and unhelpful as the comment that this issue is "just a small quirk". To sum it up, if you do not have a workaround or this does not happen to you, then please don't post.

@-Coulum-, I am actually completely sincere. The only reason I pop on the troubleshooting section is to help people out. I understand roadster is probably angry because the only response he has gotten is saying that there is no fix. I dont hold it against him. I bet everyone has unknowingly allowed their emotions to control their forums posts before.

@-Coulum-, I am actually completely sincere. The only reason I pop on the troubleshooting section is to help people out. I understand roadster is probably angry because the only response he has gotten is saying that there is no fix. I dont hold it against him. I bet everyone has unknowingly allowed their emotions to control their forums posts before.

Well your a better guy than I, because I sure know what I was thinking. Anyhow, I have nothing the OP wants so I will stop posting. Sorry roadster.

I've narrowed down the issue to being related to the server that I am in and not to Arma 3 as a whole. The servers in question are Asylum Altis Life servers. I've taken the time to post on their forums about it, so disregard this thread unless someone has found a solution.