Sign in to follow this  
sceneryexplosion

Tips for painting roads on satmap?

I was wondering if someone has any tips for painting the roads on the sat map so they align with the roads.shp file.

All help is much appriciated!

I have exported my Roads in to a Image .png file,

Inserted in Photoshop on the Satmap as Layer and painted it......

What I noticed is, that the roads do not match exactly with my roads in game.

Always when the road is longer straight....

Yes that's because Arma ingame will curve the road between two points on the shape. So even though your shape is straight, it might be curved in game because of the point position before and after these two. A fix is to set additional point just before and after where you want the road in game to match to the shape in TB. It's time consuming and so far I don't think it's possible to disable the auto-curve feature.

The "Export Shapes to Imagery" option was primarily intended for quick simple mask-making, so before shapes will export successfully they need to be - temporarily - assigned a Ground Surface. Then, when you export the shapes image, if you assigned , say, "Gravel" Surface to a shapes layer, and "Gravel" was associated with the Mask colour "Blue" in your Layers.cfg, then those shapes would be Blue in the final exported image...

First - you have to have already created a layers.cfg and Generated a Layers folder.

Then, if you switch to the Shape Layers list - pick a layer containing, for example, your Roads Polylines, and Right Click on the layer in the layers list - you'll get a "context menu".

In that menu you'll see all your ground surfaces you defined in Layers.cfg listed!

Pick one!

Now you'll notice that there's a coloured square around the icon for that Layer in the Shape Layers list.

It'll be the colour you associated with that surface type - let's say "Blue for Gravel" again...

Now - if you "export shapes to imagery" (and choose a neutral "background colour" like Black), you'll find that the resulting image is the shapes - coloured blue - on a Black background...

**NB** Notice how this "colour assigning" is different from the normal "polyline colour" options, which have no special purpose other than to allow you to colour-code things in the 2D window...

B

thx this helps me out alot!

---------- Post added at 06:26 ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 ----------

Thank you so much!

Been ripping my hair off for a couple of days now and this solves everything

Same! Thank you guys!!!

Is it possible to make the shapefiles smaller ?

The shapefiles that I exported are always much broader than my roads!

That does not look very good on the Satmap from distance! :mad:

Any tipps for me?

Is it possible to make the shapefiles smaller ?

The shapefiles that I exported are always much broader than my roads!

That does not look very good on the Satmap from distance! :mad:

Any tipps for me?

You can change the width of the shapes if you select them http://i.imgur.com/fbTMLuF.png

You can change the width of the shapes if you select them

Yup - thats exactly how you do it....

Remember! - The "Width" parameter in polylines is measured from the CENTRE POINT TO THE EDGE of the road... so for a 10 meter wide road, you want your "Width" parameter to be "5"

B