Sign in to follow this  
ixnay

Hi resolution textures and dxtc?

So, I'm seeing all these texture sizes thrown around of 2048x2048 and 4096x4096. These are GIGANTIC in relation to texture sizes used in current games (512x512 and 1024x1024 in all cases).

This is the first I've seen of a game using this high of texture resolution. I'm assuming that these are Pre-compressed DXTC textures taking advantage of modern video cards ability (since DX 6.1) to use these without the huge system hit and memory thrashing that would come from Raw 4096x4096 textures?

If DXTC (DirectX Texture Compression, previously S3TC) is employed (and I'm assuming that it is), what format is used? DXTC 1 - 5?

Much thanks,

.:iXnay

I think you've got it wrong. They mean the RESOLUTION of the screen size. Not texture size. Textures are still 512x512, and maybe 1024x1024

No blackdog he is right the textures are indeed up to 4096X4096

The actual textures in Resistance are max. 512x512 as far as I know, but the setting in the preferences is the maximum size the engine will use. If you set it to 4096x4096 or 2048x2048, with ofpcwr/resistance it doesnt make difference from 512x512. But someone could make an unofficial addon which has more detailed textures, and then that setting would actually do something.