Sign in to follow this  
skruis

Gauging interest from other server admins re: Windows 8.1 app

I haven't done any testing on what the server sees as far as markers is concerned and can only really talk about how we would use it.

Typically when we play a mission we have a mission comander.

In the briefing stage and during the mission, this mission commander will place markers either in side (if pvp) or in global if a coop for all those needing to see them.

A squad leaderm may also use side, global, command and or group to place markers for other groups or their squad

Now that you have explained the issues such as markers created in group, command etc I can see a potentialy better way to do this.

Instead of running this plugin on the server, why not have the client run the plugin and return the clients version of the Markers array (B.I command)

That way the client already has and will continue to only get the markers the mission maker or any other addon they run want them to have, so you wont need to filter out any markers they shouldn't see.

This stops any issues with connecting to servers to download the data continously and allows the plugin to grab the data locally.

This would also make any such addon that automatically runs much easier and it would become a clientside only addon, which would be perfect.

I have no idea how your plugin works, but on the surface the clientside coding you would appear to need is fairly easy to write

Edited by Terox

I will have to implement some client side functionality to grab 'player viewable' markers but I'd like to keep it restricted to mission scripting. Keeping it 'vanilla' client side is important to me because if I move the application from the server to the client, I will now require users to have to run a potential Athena mod and the Arma2NET mod which my plugin depends on and that will discourage casual play. For organized groups, they have a mod list that they maintain and they can control that kind of situation but for random pubbers, it's not as easy. Right now, the burden is on the admins and because it only takes a few minutes to setup the server side portion and update a mission, I don't think it's too burdensome to the point where an admin would choose not to run it.

As a server admin, mission maker and community head I would always keep away from anything that required the missions to be edited to make it work. I want something that I don't have to manage, so plug n play all the way.

I would not open up 100 + missions to add code so that an addon could run and do its thing, I just dont have the time.

if the client has to do anything at all other than start the game then it doesn't really matter what steps they need to take, they will either do nothing or do whatever is required.

Your typical pubber wont even know this plugin exists anyway and to be honest, the most likely useage of this addon will be by a Mission commander type player.

It just makes sense to me to have all this clientside and fully automated.

I run a public server and a non public server. Most of the public that play regularly with us download our clientside addon, those who dont simply miss out on the functionality of these clientside addons. The missions, which are all vanilla on our public server dont require these addons and nothing has to be done to make these addons work for the missions.

All i'm doing is suggesting that to reach a wider audience, make this clientside only. This would then be a very popular and highly functional mod

Noone's asking you to update 100 missions but I'm assuming new ones will be made or updates will be made to existing ones for purposes other than including Athena. Regardless, a server side mod makes a lot of sense. The scripts dont really add anything...they just collect data. A server side mod will provide the current functionality minus non-global channel markers.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Terox,

So does this seem correct then?

Athena_Var_Map = worldName;
Athena_Var_MissionName = getText missionConfigFile >> "OnLoadName";
Athena_Var_MissionDescription = getText missionConfigFile >> "OnLoadMission";
Athena_Var_MissionAuthor = getText missionConfigFile >> "Author";
Athena_Var_UpdateInterval = 0;
Athena_Var_Sides = [];

{
if !((side _x) in Athena_Var_Sides) then 
{
	Athena_Var_Sides = Athena_Var_Sides + (side _x);
};
} foreach playableUnits;

I'm also looking into the server addon but I'm finding it difficult to find config.cpp resources. A lot of questions and answers but no real tutorials. I'm sure they're out there. I just haven't found them yet but does this seem somewhat correct?

class CfgFunctions
{
class ATH	// Tag
{
	class Funcs	// core functions
	{
		file = "Athena_Server_init.sqf";
		class Pre_Init 
		{
			description = "Athena Init";
			preInit = 1;
		};
	};
};
};

class CfgPatches
{
class ATH
{
    name = "Athena Server";
    dir = "@AthenaSvr";
    version = "1";
    author[] = {"Sean Kruis (bus)"};
    authorUrl = "http://www.athenamod.com"; 
    requiredAddons[] = {"Arma2NET"};
    requiredVersion = 1;
    units[] = {};
    weapons[] = {};
    hideName = "false";
    hidePicture = "true";
    actionName = "Website";
    action = "http://www.athenamod.com"; // URL
    description = "";
};
};

And I copied the Athena_Server_init.sqf to the root folder of the mod and copied the "Send" folder to the root folder as well. If you can point me in the right direction, I can take it from there.

Edited by skruis

Ok, I've got a server side mod ready. Gonna test it on my server and then release in a bit.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

It worked. Posted updated instructions at www.athenamod.com/instructions.aspx. Terox, thanks for the suggestion...it's insanely easier as a server side mod.

No problems m8, glad you got it working.

Havent had time to implement it yet or unpbo and look at the addon/scripts.

Did you also think about including groupicons. These are exceptionally powerful interactive types of marker used by many to show the location of group leaders

Edited by Terox

Rectangles with X for infantry XI for motorized, bla bla? Yep. Those are in (not all have been implemented yet) and they change depending on what vehicle the group leader hops into:

http://www.athenamod.com/images/screenshot_08012014_114702.png

At this time, I believe I have infantry, motor inf, mech inf, armor, air, plane, uav. I'll add more as time goes on and release the updated app to the store. You can also tap/click on them to see who the group members are and what 'class' the units where when they spawn'd. Eventually, the class will be dynamic-ish changing based on what gear/kit the unit's pick up as the mission goes on.

Edited by skruis

I've just released an updated version of the app to the Microsoft Store. It should be available shortly. I've:

1. Corrected issues with auto-scrolling on mission change

2. Added a 'follow' function so that on each update, the app scrolls to the units updated position

3. Added some clarifying text and helpful information (thanks to Hawkeye for pointing out that the player needs their Steam64 ID - I had previously failed to specify that specific requirement)

4. Added static + and - buttons to allow mouse/keyboard users to easily zoom in and out

For those users that have already downloaded the app, you should receive the update automatically via the Store's delivery process.

Thanks,

Sean/bus

Got a desktop version of the app in development...

screenshot_08212014_01_thumb.png