Sign in to follow this  
G4meM0ment

Getting started with ArmA modding

Hello community,

I already coded plugins/mods for other games, lets pick a easy example: mc/bukkit, where I had a good workin API which provided a event/listener system to hook up into the game mechanics.

So for example I listened for a "PlayerDamageEvent" and displayed a message when those event has been fired.

What I need to know now, how to hook up into ArmA... I already unpacked some mods, looked threw the sqfs and tried to figure out the point where the script is triggered, but it seems to work otherwise than I'm used to it.

So, for example, how to "listen" for a player fired his rifle? Or how to schedule a repeating task to recheck things (would that be done otherwise within ArmA?)?

I actually need no general help how to code Addons, but some kind of startup help, to get the general idea of ArmA Addons.

Thanks in advance :)

Script hooks in ArmA are usually hacks. In ArmA, you put code in the mission that you are making.

Have you checked these links?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands_Arma_3

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/

Also, just a tip: do not start something new in ArmA 2. It is old (not forgotten though).

Try starting with ArmA 3 :)

A good tip would be to find a mission or script which has the thing in it you want to make and then study it.

Good luck!

Appears the list of commands became longer since ArmA 2 :P

Anyway the scripts in the missions are limited in some way, so for example u won't download ACE or JSRS from the mission files (I know because they got tons of .paa's, p3d's and however the sound files were called)

I need some kind of point to start my scripts with, so in the list of commands there a few "on[Event]" commands, so I can use those to listen to some events? But there're missing a lot of events...

(Or just for testing and learning, how would u listen for a gun fired?)