Sign in to follow this  
ajsarge

Dead squad leader breaks mission - Situation Normal (Survive Mission 1)

I've finished the campaign once, and am restarting. Unfortunately, I'm having troubles in the first mission of all things.

NOTE: I am running bCombat v0.16. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, although it changes AI values it cannot change things like invulnerability. Though it may be easier for an AI to be killed with bCombat running, they can still be killed in vanilla and the situation below still applies.

Everything is fine from the Littlebird ride in until we run across the overturned Hunter and the AAF attack. When SSGT Adams has us turn around and head back towards the camp, he has a tendency to get killed by the very first AAF patrol. If I lure some of the fire away from him he survives for a smidgen longer, but I tend to die without killing the enemy. If I run for cover and kill enemies without dying myself, he dies. I can't find a point where I lure fire AND kill the enemy.

I'm fine with him being killed. I can cover myself, deal with patrols on my own, and he's an easy source for an MXGL, helmet, and associated gear. But! the mission looses its mind and won't continue. I continue up the hill to no dialog and the AI lounging at point Xray, where they should be investigating the firefight we just had. I kill them and continue towards LZ Baldy where the Grayhawk is supposed to get blown up. The helo doesn't appear/exist, I meet no other enemies on the way there, hang a hard left where we're supposed to be attacked, still no enemies, run into the forest, and the mission doesn't end.

I understand the cost of voice acting after the fact and having to implement an entire extra line of missions when development time was lacking during and is at a premium now. But, why wasn't this accounted for? Did the mission designers just rely on the AI's skill to keep them alive during the mission, and not take measures to ensure that the plot isn't broken? Considering the circumstances, I'd be perfectly willing to suspend my disbelief and have a squad leader with plot armor or "this enableDamage false". Having to account for every single situation for when your SL could be killed, and modifying mission accordingly, would take too many resources that BI has focused elsewhere for the bootcamp package.

Please, try running the mission with all mods disabled.

CBA or bCombat must have broken the scripting in ways I didn't expect. When I disabled both, it gave SSG Adams his invulnerability back. That just opened a point during testing where he runs out of ammo and starts to rely on his 40mm GL instead of his PO9. I had to step in and kill every single enemy to finish the mission.