Sign in to follow this  
schultzit

How to replace objects?

Hello,

first of all, I'm pretty new to TB so don't be angry at me :D

Let's say I have a lot of trees I want to replace with another object. In V3 there was a tool to do so (find and replace), but I can't find the equivalent in TB!

How can I do it? I'm trying to replace A2 trees with A3 trees...

Thanks for helping!

One of the drawbacks of the "find and replace" function in the old Visitor 3 was that it didn't "respect" orientation (and possibly also scaling, if I remember correctly), which made it of limited use..

It was usually a better option to export those objects - open the export textfile in something like Notepad++, and just bulk "find and replace" the Old Objectname with the New Objectname - then reimport...

With Terrain Builder, if you look carefully at the Templates Library section, you'll notice that each item (eg: tree) has a "path to model" and "model p3d name" entries which are editable... Technically - you could change that path and name, then that "object" - wherever it's located on your terrain, would use the new model you specify...

However - it's STILL probably an easier option to - export the objects - change the names and just reimport (deleting all the old objects from your project and from your terrain first, of course).

The new Terrain Builder object export format is a little more extended than the old Visitor 3 one - there's parameters for scaling, pitch, roll, yaw, etc, etc - so even though you're swapping the objects themselves, each models individual info for these parameters will be preserved, and applied to the new object.

And with something like Notepad++, its very easy to bulk swap one model name for another, even if your export file has half a million objects or more....

B

Oh great that would be a pretty quick task.

Thanks!

Now, getting away from the main question, I've got a couple of stability issues with my map. After some tries, I was able to import the sat mask (it froze 2 or three times), but I can't import my sat image, it freezes all the time. Is that a lack of hardware on my part (i5 @ 4,2, GTX760 and 12 GB of DD3 ram) or is there a trick / hint to prevent that?

Edit: I read about importing them as tiff or bmp, while mine are png now. Gonna try that later when I get back home.

Thanks again for helping

Edited by Schultzit

Oh great that would be a pretty quick task.

Edit: I read about importing them as tiff or bmp, while mine are png now. Gonna try that later when I get back home.

The PNG import is amazingly slow, I did my first try with 20480x20480 satmap and surface mask. Think I spend up to 1,5 hour staring at the magic progress bar that would actually move backwards at times :D

Nowadays I just do everything with BMP, sure they are a few MBs but the import is blazing fast :)

Thanks again, tried now and it works. It's just painfully slow to select all the objects of a kind (for example I've got almost 900k pinetrees and it's taking 10 mins and counting!)

Is there a more efficient way to do this? I'm selecting all the objects (one model at a time) and then cutting them away to delete them... there must be a better way cause selecting 900k objects makes TB BBQ himself..

Edited by Schultzit

Is there a more efficient way to do this? I'm selecting all the objects (one model at a time) and then cutting them away to delete them... there must be a better way cause selecting 900k objects makes TB BBQ himself..

You can select all instances of a particular object by right clicking on the specific object in the Templates Library Manager section and choosing "select all objects".

Or if you have a Template Library Category containing all your individual A2 trees, you can right click the actual Library Category itself and "select all objects" - then just hit the "delete" key..

Alternatively, if you have all the objects you want rid of on a specific Layer or layers - you can right-click the layer itself and choose "clear" which will delete ALL objects on that particular layer...

So once you've exported your list, there's several ways to get rid of the old stuff before importing the new....

PS - Remember that when it comes to importing your list which you've edited to use Arma 3 trees - you'll need those Arma 3 trees to be added to the Template Library first so that when you're importing, TB can find the correctly named objects in it's library ready to place....

B

You can select all instances of a particular object by right clicking on the specific object in the Templates Library Manager section and choosing "select all objects".

Or if you have a Template Library Category containing all your individual A2 trees, you can right click the actual Library Category itself and "select all objects" - then just hit the "delete" key..

Alternatively, if you have all the objects you want rid of on a specific Layer or layers - you can right-click the layer itself and choose "clear" which will delete ALL objects on that particular layer...

So once you've exported your list, there's several ways to get rid of the old stuff before importing the new....

PS - Remember that when it comes to importing your list which you've edited to use Arma 3 trees - you'll need those Arma 3 trees to be added to the Template Library first so that when you're importing, TB can find the correctly named objects in it's library ready to place....

B

Sure, but any of your methods make my TB freeze.

The only way is to right click on the template and hit remove.

I also noticed TB is mostly using just one core, is that normal?

Edited by Schultzit

Ok I replaced every A2 objects with A3 equivalents, now I started exporting the map using pboproject but I'm stuck at this error:

missing \ca\roads2\mud_10 100.p3d

where is it defined?

One of the drawbacks of the "find and replace" function in the old Visitor 3 was that it didn't "respect" orientation (and possibly also scaling, if I remember correctly), which made it of limited use..

It was usually a better option to export those objects - open the export textfile in something like Notepad++, and just bulk "find and replace" the Old Objectname with the New Objectname - then reimport...

With Terrain Builder, if you look carefully at the Templates Library section, you'll notice that each item (eg: tree) has a "path to model" and "model p3d name" entries which are editable... Technically - you could change that path and name, then that "object" - wherever it's located on your terrain, would use the new model you specify...

However - it's STILL probably an easier option to - export the objects - change the names and just reimport (deleting all the old objects from your project and from your terrain first, of course).

The new Terrain Builder object export format is a little more extended than the old Visitor 3 one - there's parameters for scaling, pitch, roll, yaw, etc, etc - so even though you're swapping the objects themselves, each models individual info for these parameters will be preserved, and applied to the new object.

And with something like Notepad++, its very easy to bulk swap one model name for another, even if your export file has half a million objects or more....

B

What do you mean by "deleting all the old objects from your project and from your terrain first, of course". Is the project and the terrain two different things???? On my map i'm wanting to replace the regular arma 3 trees with snow trees from another pack.

What do you mean by "deleting all the old objects from your project and from your terrain first, of course". Is the project and the terrain two different things???? On my map i'm wanting to replace the regular arma 3 trees with snow trees from another pack.

Export the layer with your trees on it, then do a search and replace on that file. You then drag that file back into TB. Delete the old tree's on your terrain first or your have doubles