Sign in to follow this  
robbie84

ArmA 2 Objects / Characters Vanishing

Hi.

Let me first say that I didn't just come to write this thread without extensive problem search. I found some similar threads and discussions but none provided any answer/solution why is this happening. AND most of those threads are from 2009/2010.

Anyway, here is the issue. I am not a real gamer. I am a software engineer and I simply don't have the time to play games that require "build-up" style. I play a few games here and there to pass the time (FIFA and such...). Except ArmA 2. I started playing it a long time ago but my hardware was limited so I mostly played SP.

So anyway, I bought a new laptop few months ago. It was for work but it has a nice specs that can run ArmA 2 and 3 in about normal settings without AA and some other processor consuming stuff. So I decided to play both games on it. I recently finished first part of the ArmA 3 campaign and there was almost 0 problems. I knew my hardware limits, I used proper settings and "Survive" was beaten.

Then I decided to do a rerun of ArmA 2 campaign and scenarios. A2/OA campaigns are awesome and I wanted to see them in a new light with now more powerful hardware. But...

I own Steam versions of A2,OA and 3xDLC. They were downloaded, installed and I only used -nosplash and -skipintro in the shortcut and I am playing latest OA Beta from Steam window. ArmA 2 is unplayable for me.

Here is a quick why:

Settings: Almost everything disabled/low.

I get framerates of 7-15 and sometimes 30. In the mission prep on the rooftop my FPS is 12 and when I go into the city it rises a bit ;O I believe it should be opposite. First part until Chernogorsk was 7-15 always except when sometimes it would suddenly jump to 30...

I tried everything I could think of. New drivers, reinstall to different location, deletion of config files, few old tricks like -forcedx9 and tons of other stuff. But every time I play this mission I get vanishing objects. This is the quickest mission to show it but I noticed it even in armory where I was on ACR island and there was NOTHING around me. Like a empty level with just smooth surface and 60fps. I got a task to steal TWS 107 and when I got there I noticed a tent from distance but when I got closer it became invisible. There was ton of problems like these. I would fly a plane over ACR island and most of it was "empty" except the area around the airfield where everything (trees, bush, buildings, foliage, etc) was normal.

I know this is a wall of text for a simple question but I wanted to provide more detail so if anyone knows how I could resolve this I would be very grateful because I cannot play ArmA 2 ATM.

Thanks.

Spec:

AMD Quad-Core A6 5200 (2GHz)

AMD Radeon HD 8400 512MB with latest 14.4 Catalyst (rls 25.4.2014)

8GB DDR 3 1600MHz Memory

1TB HDD

PS. I know the limitations of this laptop in it's gaming capacity but there is no way that it can normally run ArmA 3 and totally destroy ArmA 2.

Edited by robbie84

Ok, I've read the post and most of it is already in place except the mods. I was going to try noBlur but there was no version for current beta. Anyway, if I was using any mods or anything then I would understand that some may be the culprit but this is just plain install from steam with just skipintro switches. If I need a mod to correct this then that is apsurd.

I play latest Beta but I also tried normal 1.62 and standalone ArmA2 1.11 and it doesn't change anything. AtoC is already 0. Here is a SS of the current settings. Still same: http://i.imgur.com/nxGfpIb.jpg

Now, I managed to reproduce the same bug in the Laptop editor and on the Desktop machine with nVIDIA card with latest drivers. Just go to Chernarus editor, place a soldier near the gates where campaign mission is ending (try same spot where I stand in the video but you can really stand anywhere behind that or more left...). The trick is as you see in the video to position yourself so that when you move your mouse from left (the vanishing building) slowly toward the right. It vanishes. Same works from right to left but it takes longer. If i try to hold SMB to zoom in while building is "vanished" it will appear again when I reach max zoom. When I let go SMB it is disappeared again.

AMD Athlon x2 3000MHz

nVIDIA GT 220 1gb DDR3

4GB 1066MHz RAM

500GB HDD

Same bug (ArmA 2 1.11 Editor but it is present in beta OA and 1.62 OA):

Edited by robbie84
added video

OK just checked your screenshot and you're right ; there's nothing incriminating there.

Wish I could help more...

Can't believe this is happening... I get 20fps (with small drops if excessive smoke or similar is used) in ArmA 3 Zeus MULTIPLAYER with similar settings. Tried yesterday...

Could you try reproducing the bug maybe as I said? Place the dude in the editor and try moving the mouse left - right like on the videos? Maybe I am not alone.

Also, what could be my next step in resolving this issue? Can I post it on CIT? Or somewhere else? I'm just asking because if I noticed these, who knows what else is not rendering properly in future missions or as you have seen even in editor... :(

Thanks.

Edited by robbie84