Sign in to follow this  
Garrad3

Arma 3 CFG File Question

People say to increase FPS you should change the following settings in the CFG file of Arma 3

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Does changing these actually make a difference or is it just a myth?

It sure helped me with my old comp in Arma 2 so it can help some people. I remember that it helped mouse slugginess but not sure about the fps because it was so poor with the old comp.

Now it doesn't make a difference for me.

Indeed,when the first alpha release it was out, there has been a rush to changes in the CFG, taking for granted that what was good in ArmA II it was also for the III.

Now that the excitement has passed I'd like to know if, and what REAL benefits,they have been documented in this regard or, as the OP said, it is only the classic placebo effect ... like the new nvidia driver vers. 337.50 performance.

I ask it because i have not read any comments, from the developers, that these changes have been confirmed as positive,correct me if I'm wrong, and also because, if it was true,they would be condemne do not changed the CFG file with the upgrade official patches....and do not tell me now that is difficult to do even this simple changes! :D

Edited by j4you

This one is just a readout, nothing you enter in this parameter is saved or used:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

You could change it to:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=BOLLOCKS;

or

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=SUPER_MEGA_MAX_PERFORMANCE;

But the next time you check it, it will revert to 1000 (default) or some other number (typically 0,1,2,3 or 4) depending on what you set in the GPU_DetectedFramesAhead parameter.

This one is just a readout, nothing you enter in this parameter is saved or used:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

You could change it to:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=BOLLOCKS;

or

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=SUPER_MEGA_MAX_PERFORMANCE;

But the next time you check it, it will revert to 1000 (default) or some other number (typically 0,1,2,3 or 4) depending on what you set in the GPU_DetectedFramesAhead parameter.

HI

For lock the CFG file it's enough enable it just in read .

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=SUPER_MEGA_MAX_PERFORMANCE;.......LOL!

Anyway.

Can i have the link where you read it...plz?

Sounds fun and I'd like to know who is the seer said it!

veggente_definitivo.jpg

THX

Edited by j4you

I know that page from when i was in ArmA II by heart,anyway thx, but if that strings modified they are usefull, why they dosent change it to default ,without having to do it manually?

Or since they have not done so for Arma II is useless to do it for ArmA III ? :rolleyes:

It seems to me that the concept is quite simple to understand.

Edited by j4you

Default settings are chosen for various reasons. The value by default is where the developer thinks it should be set for a computer that runs the game well. The fact that lowering this value may help you if your computer is under performing has no bearing on whether that is the best value for everyone or the engine itself.

That mind then if i get a High-End PC and the game runs like a charm, the best setting, it's keep to default that value?

May be you right when you have saied,,,,the developers think!,ie without any certainty.

And if i had doubts before now I'm even more confused.:confused:

As always, one must do the test alone to figure it out....but I'm not surprised by this.

Edited by j4you