Sign in to follow this  
Docattak

The Mortar, The MG Nest, The Trigger And The Problem!

Hi

After many many hours in the past 4 days searching various forums and youtube vids I confess to being no further forward!

AIM:

1 BLUFOR Mortar (I44 British Army ML 3in Mortar) - mortar1

1 OPFOR MG Nest (I44 GE Heer MG42 Nest) - arty1

1 Marker - marker1 (if needed!)

1 trigger - trig1 (if needed!)

arty1 is inside marker1 if necessary!

If arty1 is alive AND no BLUFOR units are alive close to arty1, I want mortar1 to fire on arty1 (within, say, a 30m radius). I don't want an artillery mod, as I want to expand this situation via scripting myself.

I've tried so many ways including putting arty1 inside trigger, writing sqf files, init code, on act. code etc. etc. - nothing results in the mortar firing at the MG nest!

Any help much appreciated :)

Edited by Docattak

1. Instead of a real mortar would you be happy to have a virtual mortar? When the trigger fires the virtual mortar fires at a target of your choice. I can help with that.

2. If you are a commander and have a rifleman under you, you could also have a mortar under you. Order the mortar to fire at a target of your choice.

Yes please, Joe - anything to get me started - meanwhile if anyone has a solution to the original idea please let me know :)

Find below a link to a ZIP file.

This is a demo mission made by somebody else. He put it up on an Arma 2 web site for people to download. I have forgotten where I got it from exactly.

Have the soldier run from the ammo box up the road to the other ammo box. This fires the trigger. You might choose a different method to fire the trigger.

And you can move the target to any place you wish. It is a little orange square a bit north of the soldier.

http://users.tpg.com.au/sueyoo//Arty.zip

As you would know every weapon in the game has 3 class names.

The class name of the weapon

The class name of the magazine

The class name of the individual round.

Notice the script uses the class names of 2 individual artillery rounds:

_types = ["ARTY_Sh_105_WP","ARTY_Sh_105_HE"]; /// Array of Explosions

These are white phosphorous and high explosive.

As a test I changed these class names for a whole bunch of other things. I tried mortar rounds and even hand grenades and it works just fine!

In the Iron Front game I tried other things too: HE rounds from a Sherman tank, German stick grenades, HE rounds from a Pak40, HE rounds fro a Russian AT gun and they all work just fine!

Hope this helps.

Thanks Joe, checked this out with various and works fine - more knowledge and ideas - as an experienced programmer, having done loads of IL2 game programming (very similar), but a noob to Arma 2. The more ideas/info/examples I can get the quicker I will be useful to myself and others :)

Cheers mate!