Sign in to follow this  
Nashable

Headless Client and Zeus

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else has tried mixing Headless Client support with Zeus? I'd assumed that the unit locality for Zeus was on the server side. In my scripts I transfer ownership of all non-player units from the server to the HC. Though what really happens is that the units become unresponsive when issued waypoints or anything else (the waypoints are not deleted but they just stand around or adjust position slightly but don't move towards their waypoint).

I was wondering if anyone else had tried Zeus and Headless Client integration yet and what their experience was? This is my first HC implementation so I'm not sure where to start debugging this one.

Cheers,

Nashable

I have been working on it on my mission at the moment, I HAVE got it connecting just not jumping in the allocated slot as of yet.

See http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149412-Arma-3-Headless-Client&p=2667725&viewfull=1#post2667725

Update: Got it jumping to slot fully working. 50 FPS + 50 CPS server side

Edited by tmortensen

I have been working on it on my mission at the moment, I HAVE got it connecting just not jumping in the allocated slot as of yet.

See http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149412-Arma-3-Headless-Client&p=2667725&viewfull=1#post2667725

Update: Got it jumping to slot fully working. 50 FPS + 50 CPS server side

Sorry it wasn't clear from the post you linked. Your mission has the Zeus functionality enabled?

Got it working now on Zeus Game Master Game mode, just not on Zeus Sector Control.

Find me on TS or PM me as I have it working on our ZGM game mode server.

Cheers

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else has tried mixing Headless Client support with Zeus? I'd assumed that the unit locality for Zeus was on the server side. In my scripts I transfer ownership of all non-player units from the server to the HC. Though what really happens is that the units become unresponsive when issued waypoints or anything else (the waypoints are not deleted but they just stand around or adjust position slightly but don't move towards their waypoint).

I was wondering if anyone else had tried Zeus and Headless Client integration yet and what their experience was? This is my first HC implementation so I'm not sure where to start debugging this one.

Cheers,

Nashable

Hi Nashable,

I think not much people have played seriously with Zeus. At least not as much as you did. I may be wrong since I have not made lots of tests but I think that what a Zeus creates, become local to him. Kind of becoming the head client (opposite of headless...;0) ). I tested that on a dedicated server with debug on, probing the state of "owner" on units I created, from the server.

When that Zeus disconnect, all its created units fall back to the server (owner #1), which is normal. Like when a player creates AI.

I had a mission (Insurgency with EOS) before Zeus that I wanted to merge with MCC but as Zeus was coming out soon, I just waited.

The thing you are explaining, unit becoming unresponsive, I did experiment the same. With my EOS spawned unit (owner -> server), I have to Remote Control for them to become local to me so I have no problem giving them waypoints. But still some server owned units are responsive to MOVE waypoints (I was surprised), so I'm wondering if locality is still an issue for waypoints. (maybe half an issue since Zeus, BI probably done things to make it work?).

I'm thinking about what would be best. Add curator event handler that when an object is created, it is moved to server (or HC?) and make our own dialog, functions etc to replace native curator Move to waypoint (and other stuff) so it does make it done by the server/HC (via a public variable or something...), or... or wait a little more after BI to see their approach in the next update.

The main problem I see (if I'm not completely wrong) is that almost every script/mod that touches AI, assume the AI being local (owned) to server.

Does that make sense or I'm missing some part?

Regards,

Holo.

The problem is that the ownership as far as i'am concerned lies at Zeus itself, making himself a (headless) client. This is so far troublesome that clients with small bandwith meet their limits quite fast giving only little room for ai creation. One would have to do is constantly swapping the ownership of the unit itself.

Pull the ownership to the client, set the waypoints in Zeus, use BIS_FNC_MP to change ownership and hand over waypoints/behavior and then reset the waypoints/behavior, since those get deleted on transfere. Further one could create a dialog to request a pull and send of units to specific machines.