Sign in to follow this  
Johno89

New to Addon creation & O2 - Would appreciate help.

Hi,

Recently I have been modelling an attack helicopter in 3ds Max with the intention of porting it into Arma 3. At present (following a tutorial) I have managed to edit the model in o2 and package it into a pbo using the addon builder. In the A3 editor the addon is displayed, however when I place it and click preview Arma simply crashes.

To give you a run down, I have successfully installed o2 via the following tutorial;

http://ohplz.ca/tuts/00/index.html

To get a basic model in game I have been following this tutorial;

http://armscor.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/arma-3-mod-basic-helicopter-tutorial.html

Within Max I have turbo smoothed my model and deleted unnecessary edges to reduce file size. One problem I have encountered which may be the cause of A3 crash; I modelled it in meters (I read that importing into o2 should be 1:1), but this gave me my first problem. When the heli is imported into o2 it is huge, so I have to manually scale it down to a size which seems best. I have read and studied various tutorials but everything still feels hazy. If anyone could provide knowledge or advice to help make my addon work it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you time.

1. I doubt that the crash is related to size. Your best bet is to check your RPT file for errors and reason to crash

2. Turbosmoothing your mesh is fine as long as you have less than (about) 16k vertices. It is not about size but polycount in the en.

3. What is your export import workflow? .obj or .3ds? Either way, make sure your max system file is also in meters, not only the display size.

4. Make sure that even if you follow OFP tutorials, you are building your inheritance in your config file base on A3 class lists.

Thing is, in order to get help you have to put down more information: model.cfg and config.bin would help, same as rpt file.

Hope it helps to some degree.

Hi Pufu,

1. I’m a bit unsure what the .rpt file is. Could you point me to it?

2. My model has 14,442 polys, is 16,000 a general rule for all addons? Be they armoured/car/plane etc?

3. My output workflow is .obj, and the unit problem has been sorted (I had put meters in display only). Now when importing into o2 it fits the grid nicely.

4. Unsure what you mean by 'inheritance in your config file base'. Should I study the config files bohemia provided in the sample vehicles?

In my work folder I have a config.cpp file and model.p3d file. I do not have a .bin, .cfg or .rpt.

Thanks for the advice.

The .rpt files can be found here - C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\Arma 3\

Thanks Surpher,

Im looking at a host of .rpt files and some crash dump files, what do i need to do with them?

Open the latest .rpt file in a text editor and look for errors related to your model.

Edited by surpher

I've sorted the problem, something as simple as the file save name being different to that inside of the config file.

Hi Pufu,

1. I’m a bit unsure what the .rpt file is. Could you point me to it?

2. My model has 14,442 polys, is 16,000 a general rule for all addons? Be they armoured/car/plane etc?

3. My output workflow is .obj, and the unit problem has been sorted (I had put meters in display only). Now when importing into o2 it fits the grid nicely.

4. Unsure what you mean by 'inheritance in your config file base'. Should I study the config files bohemia provided in the sample vehicles?

In my work folder I have a config.cpp file and model.p3d file. I do not have a .bin, .cfg or .rpt.

Thanks for the advice.

1. as surpher said

2. 16k is not a general rule. I would love to give you an exact number but it doesn't work that way i am afraid (you can find the in depth explanation i gave on these forums as well). but everything under 16-20k should work.

3. glad you sorted out.

4. You should study A3 configs if you are making a vehicle for A3. You can find the entire config for A3 on dev-heaven

5. yeah, i meant .cpp (bin is the rapified version). You should have a config for the p3d file as well, where you define animations etc. Have a look over bi-wiki regarding general addon creation guides.

4. I've searched dev-heaven and found this site http://dev.withsix.com/, I'm assuming the config files are located within the projects tab? But I'm unable to find them, could you point me in the right direction?

5. Yeah the config.cpp (i think) goes hand in hand with the .p3d file I've created, but at present its basic just getting the model in game.

I'll continue to work on this, god help me XD.

Thanks