Sign in to follow this  
meatball

Need some help tracking down a CTD Bug on Respawn/Revive

Alright, I've been beating myself up trying to track down this error and I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is. Here's the short story of what's going on.

My missions use revive scripts to allows other players to revive fallen comrades unlimited times, but if all the players drop, the mission(s) end. I've been using BTC Revive for months without a hitch, but when I started recently having issues, I also tried using the new A3 Wounding Script as well as a similar one the NeoArmageddon was working up. All of them have been having the same issue over the last few weeks (seems to coincide around the time 1.10 dropped).

Basically a player will die/get knocked unconcious, A3 will 'respawn' the player using base respawn and the revive script then relocates the player back to where they went down and then knocks them unconscious / into agony until another player can get to them and revive or perform first aid on them.

What's happening is about 40-50% of the time, right when the respawn counter counts down to 0, A3 will crash to desktop. It doesn't happen every time, and sometimes you'll be able to be revived multiple times without it happening, other times it happens to everybody, and other times it happens to some folks and not others. The rpt files really don't help are just showing a crash of A3, and I can't read the dump files.

I've posted the bug along with all the related files up on the bug tracker, but since it's inconsistent and there's nothing in the RPT's, I can't seem to pin down the issue. There anyone else out there experiencing the same issue, or can help shed some light on what might be going on?

Just a guess, but when the respawn counter is zero, maybe the scripts are expecting there to be another unit and the resulting code (which I would guess is trying to manipulate objNull ) crashes the game.

If they are called from the respawn eventhandler for instance, try modifying the scripts so they have a (not isNull (_this select 0)) check against the player.

Just a guess though.

I'll have to see if I can try that and if it fixes anything. Just for grins, I moved everything to DEV, and we got the same Crash to Desktops unfortunately. Here's the .rpt file from the crash.