Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

9/11 thread

America is a very self-absorbed nation. Whether that stems from the fact that American culture satisfies many people so they have no desire to look beyond it, or the fact that many Americans dont care about much beyond America, or because the media insulates us from worldwide tragedies by hyping domestic news and sensationalizing stories that are more palatable for the public, I dont know. Maybe its one or two, or maybe its a combination of all. What can I say? Of course its not right that we indulge in self-pity at the expense of helping others, but what would you like me to do about it? Tell people to just get over Sept. 11? I think not, because I value my life.

I value my life too, and so did all the people that died in the attack, but we cant let that blind us from the truth that that amount of people die every single day all over the rest of the world.

Jude Law put it really well in Enemy at the Gates. He said "Its just something we all have to accept.....Everyone has their time."

I agree the the American media picks very random things to overhype as it does, and picks very random stories to conspicously leave out.  I read the papers every day and I'm amazed at all the trivial shit that is deemed "newsworthy."  

Here's why - the media is a business too.  The editors and publishers print what sells papers, and to Joe Six-Pack, that's what's going on at home.  There are those of us who do care about the rest of the world, but we seem to be mostly overlooked, because we're too smart to play the media game.

In no way is the American media state-controlled.  You wouldn't have Watergate, Agent Orange, bombings in Cambodia, or the Iran-Contra affair if it wasn't for the media - you think the government wanted all that stuff leaked?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yup. Only in the good ol' US of A does it make headlines and is milked for all its worth by government controlled media for years to come.

Bush is saying "My fellow americans, i want you to remember something. Remember this day. Because it is this day........that will serve as our excuse to bomb the shit out of the middle east."<span id='postcolor'>

This is very insulting, regardless of whether or not you want it to be or not.  

Blowing off the WTC events is NOT the solution to that problem.

neither applicating the talyon law on afghani civilians ....

You are all completely missing the point my post. I was not referring to that Americans don't care about the rest of the world. I was only saying that is interesting how they never show the bodies of any dead Americans.

This is not just an American phenomenon .I think it is a general rule of media that you never show your own citizens mutilated or dead. I think however that it is bad. It somehow gives the impression that the lives of other nationalities are less worth.

I remember reading that they did not want to show the American public to much footage of D-Day becuase of all the Americans that died. If they want to show em fine if they do not fine, I really do not care.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Duke_of_Ray @ Sep. 13 2002,01:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I remember reading that they did not want to show the American public to much footage of D-Day becuase of all the Americans that died. If they want to show em fine if they do not fine, I really do not care.<span id='postcolor'>

Most of the D-Day film was destroyed in a rush to develop it! There was hardly any to show.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 13 2002,01:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is not just an American phenomenon .I think it is a general rule of media that you never show your own citizens mutilated or dead. I think however that it is bad. It somehow gives the impression that the lives of other nationalities are less worth.<span id='postcolor'>

We always consider 'our own' to be more important; in the same way the death of your mother say, while unfortunate, would not affect me in the same way as the death of mine would. And visa versa.

When you are looking at bodies on your televison/book of dead bodies in some country hundreds of miles away, it is easy to feel detached from them and have no feeling for them, almost like they are just puppets. When its your own people been shown, its sooooo much closer to you. That body might belong to a guy you saw walking in the shopping mall one day. That other one could be your neighbour. It causes too much outrage due to how much it hurts to see your own dead people.