Sign in to follow this  
BeastlyFX

What kind of hardware would this take?

Me and my buddies are looking at setting up the next best server when it comes to wasteland, I was looking for some ideas on what sort of hardware would be required for a Altis Wasteland server that had around 200 slots?

I understand that sounds far-fetched but we're got money to spend and we're willing to check out anything.

Let me know what you think.

same as any arma3 server

if you want the best set up you can get then you need to be aiming for the following

(This is kicking the butt out of it)

You need to buy wherever possible enterprise standard gear, its more robust and is designed for the server environment

1) Fastest I7/PREFERABLY Xeon based quad core you can afford, overclocked as much as possible but still maintaining a stable system

2) Latest chipset mboard

3) Colocated at a tier 3 or 4 datacentre who's location is fairly central to your player base, therefore reducing latency and where the bandwidth is fairly large 100mbit or greater

4) Run with just 1 operating system, eg no VMware, windows inside linux etc

5) Raid 10 disk array (That needs 4 HD's per array) with a dedicated hardware raid card

6) Hard drives. Defintely enterprise, not sure if ssd will give you increased running performance as it does on a client (Clients load textures on the fly), but it will increase server start up times

7) RAM: You should ideally have at least 8gb so you can comfortably run the o/s and other apps you want to run as well as the game server

.......... there is arguments for and against running ram disks, eg loading the entire game into ram. Maybe you could look into this and buy a lot more ram than 8gb

8) GPU Not required, servers dont run graphics

9) Somebody who knows how to install and configure the server for optimum performance

Because of the overclocking and therefore additional cooling requirements, its probably not going to be possible to do this in a 1u rack server. So you will need to find a host that has the space for a tower box. This will take up 3 or 4u of space and therefore cost more.

I do not know what the current wasteland server real limit for player numbers is. I would imagine that 200 players is not really possible.

I would want to see performance logs for anyone who reckons they can run with 100+ players with good performance to believe them. (Folks exaggerate a lot)

Typically it will be more like 60 players max

Edited by Terox