Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

CWA on Mac Book Pro

I'm going to be away from my gaming PC for some time. My laptop is a mac book pro and I would like to get CWA running through an emulator if possible.

Has any anybody had any success in doing so?

Thanks.

Using the tool below I got CWA to run.

http://barrelapp.co.uk/

EDIT

I got it working by using the "no flicker" version of Wine which you select from the drop down menu during installation.

Now to patch CWA and get mods working.

Edited by Snafu

Have you found a way to install any mod?

What about dxdll?

I got it working too, but it's just the basic CWA 1.99

I haven't tried to get mods running yet. I'm not sure how to add -mod= but I hope there's a way. Unfortunately, the documentation for the software isn't vastly detailed.

I put in dxdll but forgot to give it a proper shot. I did notice the UI sharpen ability it has though.

How was your mouse control? It was a little bit jittery for me when making small adjustments for accurate shooting and clicking.

Mouse control is flawless. I used the wine engine on top of the list.

I am trying to get some mods/addons to work.

I am trying to get some mods/addons to work.

Any luck so far?

I think it might be possible to do so with a custom launcher like Kegety's one.

You would install the program, launch it, point it to the CWA exe and then specify which mods you want to run and also be able to use the -nomap and -nosplash commands.

If that is successful then the only big problem left is mods with .bat files, for example, installing new sky textures and such.

It sounds like I'll have to try some different wine engines.

FYI, I came across this link below for a tool called Play on Mac but I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.playonmac.com/en/topic-8477-Arma_Cold_War_Assault_GoG.html

I switched to POM in order to get mods running. Once you install it just go to "Configure" then fill in the "Arguments" field.

Brilliant. How did you install the mods though? Most good mods have exe or bat installers.

There are a few ways you can play CWA using a Macbook Pro. Depending on your version you may have some problems with drivers using a few of these options.

Option 1: Bootcamp

Install Windows side-by-side your Mac OS X installation. This gives the best performance and worked okay in my computer until I ran into issues with the WiFi and soundcard.

Option 2: Linux/PlayOnMac

You can either install Linux side-by-side your Mac OS X, or install Wine/Winery to emulate Windows under a Linux environment. Tested it but I grew tired of tinkering with it every time I wanted to make some changes. PlayOnMac is good but again, too much fiddling around.

Option 3: Virtual Machine

The option I am using now. Installed Parallels (proprietary software - 15 days trial) and everything works flawlessly. It integrates seamlessly with your Mac desktop and it runs OFP perfectly fine. In my case even helped as there was no need for drivers and both WiFi and sound work fine. Just need to fix the MP that makes the game crash when pinging the Windows Firewall for access.

Regarding the mods with .exe files: you can open those using some programs like 7zip and Winzip (or variants for Mac) that allow you to extract contents without running the installation.

Regarding the mods with .bat files: In any of those three options they will run perfectly fine. You just need to open .bat under Wine but straight from inside the emulated c: drive, not from your desktop or downloads folder. It should work out-of-the-box.

In any case, best of luck getting OFP working! :yay: