abs

MarkerLights Blink Rate?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a way to configure the blink rate for the markerlights, or are we stuck with the defined rate? I ask because as far as I can tell, the airport uses markerlights, and they all don't blink at the same time. I am trying to figure out how to replicate this on a vehicle.

Thoughts?

Abs

Hello,

it should now be possible to configure custom blinking patterns. An example config:

class MarkerLights
{
class PositionRed
{
	blinking = true;
	blinkingPattern[] = {0.1, 0.9};
	blinkingStartsOn = true;
	blinkingPatternGuarantee = true;
};
};

blinkingPattern is an array of durations of flashes and pauses (or pauses and flashes when blinkingStartsOn = false;).

blinkingPatternGuarantee is a little tricky. If you set durations in your pattern that are shorter than one frame, it could happen that that element of the pattern will get skipped. To prevent this, you can set this parameter to true, which enables detection of skipped elements and if it triggers, it steps back on the pattern's timeline to the skipped element. However, that means that you lose the guarantee of the pattern's period. So, long story short, blinkingPatternGuarantee affects only situations when you use very short durations in the pattern and/or your fps is very low. The default value is false for backwards compatibility, but generally speaking, you want it set to false only in situations when you want several synchronized markerLights, because then the possibly prolonged pattern periods could desync your markerLights.

On 12.12.2013 at 3:41 PM, Tilion said:

Hello,

it should now be possible to configure custom blinking patterns. An example config:

class MarkerLights
{
class PositionRed
{
	blinking = true;
	blinkingPattern[] = {0.1, 0.9};
	blinkingStartsOn = true;
	blinkingPatternGuarantee = true;
};
};

blinkingPattern is an array of durations of flashes and pauses (or pauses and flashes when blinkingStartsOn = false;).

blinkingPatternGuarantee is a little tricky. If you set durations in your pattern that are shorter than one frame, it could happen that that element of the pattern will get skipped. To prevent this, you can set this parameter to true, which enables detection of skipped elements and if it triggers, it steps back on the pattern's timeline to the skipped element. However, that means that you lose the guarantee of the pattern's period. So, long story short, blinkingPatternGuarantee affects only situations when you use very short durations in the pattern and/or your fps is very low. The default value is false for backwards compatibility, but generally speaking, you want it set to false only in situations when you want several synchronized markerLights, because then the possibly prolonged pattern periods could desync your markerLights.

Please give an example of the blinking parameters - the light source should have a decay rate of 3 seconds.

@Tilion is there any way to set "blinking = true" to false via a command such as setVariable? I'm trying to avoid completely overwriting the class in my description.ext (if that's even possible to begin with). I'm starting to think I may be stuck with having to make my own mod that adds a separate config/class for a static version of the lights.