Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Visual Novel - quite an 'interesting' concept for a 'game'

I stumbled upon this 'game', Juniper's Knot a free visual novel. Quite an interesting story, nice story, nice music and art. Then I go ahead and bought Dysfunctional System from steam. They are from the same maker. Very nice story, music and art.

It is linear, (though Dysfunctional can have 2 different endings) and nothing resembles any kind of 'gameplay' other than clicking the mouse button to read the next line of text/dialog. Basically that's what you do in this game - just read. And I find it quite interesting, thanks to the storyline. Dysfunctional System has around 1+ hour worth of reading (gameplay) and COD maybe 3+ hours. Both are linear, both have quite an interesting story. But COD is $60 and Dysfunctional System is just $5... Of course those are two different games, but if storyline is what you're after then might as well get a movie/book or a visual novel. But of course, I also play COD for its visual and sound effects, and the joy of shooting poor pixel men. It's just that I find myself feeling kinda weird for liking this kind of 'game'.

Anyway, are there any fans of visual novel in this forum? If you're into VN, I highly recommend Dysfunctional System - I find myself reading over and over again, even if I already know the story... not the same with movies or games. Reading has different feeling to it... oh well, cant wait the episode 2