Sign in to follow this  
Cyper

Make civilians hostile (if armed)

I was just using google to search for ''armed civilians'' for ARMA III and I found this. I really hope that we'll see this as an option when the next patch is released.

1. Go to editor

2. Place independent civilian

3. Go to intel

4. Set friendly to no one

5. Place blufor and opfor unit

6. Preview

7. Civilians shoot both parties

Or

Simply to Place a civilian unit, click on it, and an option to use ''Set friend'': East, West, Independent, None.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10167

What do the rest of you think? I think it would be positive since there wouldn't be no more need for mods or other methods to make civilians hostile. Obviously, the civilian should only become hostile if armed.

there is more to it than that. The AI will not shoot a civilian unless it is grouped to one of the combatant sides.

there is more to it than that. The AI will not shoot a civilian unless it is grouped to one of the combatant sides.

If BIS makes it possible to set civilian units to East, West, Independent, or none, I don't see how that is relevant.

What do the rest of you think? I think it would be positive since there wouldn't be no more need for mods or other methods to make civilians hostile. Obviously, the civilian should only become hostile if armed.
There is no sence in making civilians hostile by default, because they are - surprisingly - civilians (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/civilian : a person not in the armed services or the police force). But if you for some reason want to override their behaviour you already can do it in several ways (you can even create "Independed/OPFOR/BLUFOR" civilians or you can simply remove uniform from some unit and dress it in civilian clothes. :D), so I don't see a problem. Edited by Semiconductor

If BIS makes it possible to set civilian units to East, West, Independent, or none, I don't see how that is relevant.

Because that is not what you were asking for.

SetFriend will only create one way hostility, it will not change the civilians' Side. If you arm civilians and then make them hostile to, say, Blufor, the Blufor AI will not engage them because their Side is still Civilian, but the civilians will happily shoot the Blufor AI up.

In Arma 2, the way to get around this was to place an Opfor officer with a zero probability of presence and add armed civilians to his group at the start of the mission, or use joinsilent mid mission.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Side_relations

Edited by jiltedjock

If a civilian has picked up arms against someone, I don't view them as a civilian anymore but rather an armed combatant. However, "hostile" civilians can be present in the form of support for guerillas. They will allow insurgents to hide among them, even feed, shelter, and store munitions for them. In guerilla conflicts and insurgent movements the war can be decided upon which side has better civilian support