Sign in to follow this  
ejanvi

What is the best way to place things with the edit

First, let me say that I've looked for the last 60 pages of that forum, dowloaded most Editing Manuals I've found, but it seems that everybody is much more advanced than I am.

My questions are two, and quite simple (I am working with the Resistance Editor):

1. Why am I having so much problems to place (manually) a simple M2 machine gun with the Editor? The Icon appears at the place I want in the Editor, then I "Preview" the mission, and the M2 is 500 meters away (the Radius is set to Zero in the Unit Properties). I go back in the editor, move the icon to & fro, go back to Preview, still 500m of the Icon. An by the way, I've set its direction to 270°, and it stupidly faces North... Same shit happens with tanks. The first item is usually OK, but the second is random.

2. Is there an easier way to place things than by placing Icons in the Editor? Like placing the "thing" (soldier, tank...) somewhere in the Editor, then going in Preview, and leading it by the hand, or pushing it or whatever, to the position that appears best (easier to verify in Preview than with the Map view of the Editor, especially when you want to position a soldier precisely behind the opening of a fortress...)?

I know this must be the level zero of editing, but I am going crazy. And I haven't even started with Scripting...

If anyone of you can spare a minute to help me out, I will be very grateful...

For your first question: I think maybe your machine gun is in a group? A little line connecting it to another unit.

If it is grouped with another unit select Special: "None" in the machinegun poperties instead of "In Formation"

Otherwise I am not sure why, are there any lines coming out of the M2 Icon?

For your second question: No you can not do that, once you are more advanced you can make yourself a radio trigger that will spit out your position in the game. Once you have a position you like, you can open the mission.sqm and replace the Position = [X,Y,Z] values manually for any unit you wish.

Thanks.

Indeed, the M2s (and the tanks) were in formation!

And I'll look around for the radio script. Or I remember I saw a post about a "command console" somewhere...

Anyway, thanks a bundle for the help on such trivial questions...

Also a little note you can use the + or - keys on numpad to zoom in and out of map, for those precision placements.

you gotta crawl before you walk and walk before you run.

[x,z,y] co-ordinates can come later when you've used the editor a bit more.

Have fun

pynaple...out