Sign in to follow this  
blitzsnake

Is an optimization patch coming?

It's been a rough year for me as a gamer. Rome 2 and Company of Heroes 2 were major dissapointments. Optimized like crap and riddled with stuff no one wants. So I wanted to try something new and bought Arma 3. Now, from what I played, this game, is in contrary to the former mentioned, a great game. It's just being hindered by extremely bloated coding. Can we expect a fix any time soon or is this the way the game is meant to run? I have a i5 3570k with 4,0 Ghz Turbo and I still get poor fps even when settings are low. It's a dissapointment really since that CPU is regarded to be fairly decent. And why isn't more of the GPU being used? If they fix the optimization, this game becomes the best purchase I've done in years.

It's been a rough year for me as a gamer. Rome 2 and Company of Heroes 2 were major dissapointments. Optimized like crap and riddled with stuff no one wants. So I wanted to try something new and bought Arma 3. Now, from what I played, this game, is in contrary to the former mentioned, a great game. It's just being hindered by extremely bloated coding. Can we expect a fix any time soon or is this the way the game is meant to run? I have a i5 3570k with 4,0 Ghz Turbo and I still get poor fps even when settings are low. It's a dissapointment really since that CPU is regarded to be fairly decent. And why isn't more of the GPU being used? If they fix the optimization, this game becomes the best purchase I've done in years.

No the game is not meant to run like this, the recommended specs are Intel Core i5-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 so that's all you should need to run it well.

I assume they will be trying to optimise it, because if performance doesn't improve much over what it is currently I doubt many people will be buying their games anymore. They are aware of the problem though, lets just hope it doesn't take too long because it is putting loads of people off playing it. I know a few of the people I play with said they don't mind if Arma 3 takes a long time to come out as long as when it does there aren't many bugs and it runs well. Unfortunately we all waited through many delays for it to finally be released and for many it is unplayable.

Edited by clydefrog

They are doing constant optimizations to performance in Altis (the problem is not the engine itself, is the island), but patches to most users come every two or three weeks. The last one was last thursday and ext one is expected in a couple of weeks.

Altis is a huge island, and it's not as well optimized as it should.

Anyway, are you sure you have your game configured in a correct way? View distance and PiP for example have a huge effect on CPU and GPU load. Turn off PiP (you won't need in in 90% of the occasions), and lower view distance to some 3-4K meters, and objects to 500 meters less than VD, and you'll have a way better performance and still plenty of awesomeness to admire (e.g.: I have view distance set to 1200 and objects to 900, as I have a crappy GPU, but I still have an awesome view of the world, and can fight as well as any other, it's only a problem when flying or using a sniper rifle). Fiddle about a bit with settings, and find which one fits better to your system.

have view distance set to 1200 and objects to 900, as I have a crappy GPU

View distance and object draw distance are CPU dependent, not graphics card dependent. Also in Arma 2 you'd get much higher object draw distance than that with a view distance of 3 or 4000 and it would still run fine (they are linked in Arma 2, I don't know what the ratio is but it seemed like draw distance was at least 1km less than the view distance). In Arma 3 if you are flying even an object draw distance of 1000 looks bad as you see loads of stuff popping up ahead of you but if I put it up much more than that it starts killing the frame rate.

Edited by clydefrog

Oh gents,

Another one of these threads...

Not sure if you know BIS or not but I can assure you that BIS will be rolling out patches (which include extra content etc) for a while yet. BIS will always try and give you the best game that they can under certain caveats, leave it with them and they will deliver.

Good to know I'm not the only one with the problem. How was Arma 2? Was it optimized later as time went on?

Yes it was, well at least the expansion pack they brought out called Operation Arrowhead was (partially by using much less object intensive maps like takistan which has pretty much no grass or trees on it).

Please use existing threads, there is no need to open another useless discussion.

Hey Blitz,

As some have said, BI is always working on optimizing their games.

Could you please post your exact PC specs and the graphical settings you are using in-game in this thread?

Will my PC run Arma3? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? What System Specifications?

Once you do, we can figure out how we can get some extra frames per second out of your machine :)

I'm going to close this thread , because it's not feeling to well and it needs to lie down.