Sign in to follow this  
darklordabc

Is this easy to script?

I want to make a team vs team gamemode, with 2 bases, with the objective to destroy the other teams base. Furthermore, I want 3 lanes of npc soldiers spawning at each base and attacking the enemy bases. Furthermore, I want players to be able to kill the npc's to collect some kind of resource they can use to purchase abilities and items and get level upgrades?

Is this possible and easy with Arma 2 scripting, or should I try another engine? Please, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would say it is not difficult and most of the scripts you would need were already made by someone http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma3_files_editing_scripts. But making scripts requires a bit of learning. A good starting point is:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20465.

EDIT: you should ask questions about scripting in ARMA3- Editing/ARMA 3 - MISSION EDITING & SCRIPTING

The destroy objectives are easy to script. Autonomous NPCs aren't so easy to script if you want them to behave intelligently within your mission's context. Resources and buying stuff is possible but it takes a lot of expertise, hard work and testing, and it's not necessarily even a good design decision. Just so you know, there already are missions like that, Warfare for example.

Oh god, are you seriously trying to turn ArmA into Warcraft?

Anyway, adding NPCs isn't so hard to do in this case. For this specific mission they only need a few waypoints to do what they should. How difficult that is, largely depends on your editing-proficiency.

As Celery already said: Buying stuff is going to be a bit more complex, especially when you want neat looking menus.

If you want neat looking menus the new reload dialog for the F-18 mod is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in ArmA.

If you want neat looking menus the new reload dialog for the F-18 mod is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in ArmA.

Copy that brother!

Thx for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it. Could you let me know if there is a template I can conveniently copy first? To help me get started? Thanks.