Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Oh-58d kiowa crashes

From http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/08/21/helicopter.crash.ap/index.html

Two soldiers killed in helicopter crash

August 21, 2002 Posted: 1:53 AM EDT (0553 GMT)

story.helicopter.kiowa.jpg

The OH-58D Kiowa is a scout helicopter used for reconnaissance missions.

FORT POLK, Louisiana (AP) -- Two soldiers stationed at Fort Polk were killed Tuesday night when their helicopter crashed during a combat training exercise, Army officials said.

The names of the two soldiers -- the helicopter's pilot and co-pilot -- were being withheld until officials could contact their families, Public Information Officer Ron Elliott said.

"I really feel for the families. You hear about these kinds of accidents every now and then, but when it's close to home, it's really close to home," Elliott said.

The two members of the 4th Squadron of the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment were participating in a Joint Readiness Training Center Exercise when they crashed the OH-58D Kiowa helicopter around 7:30 p.m. (8:30 p.m. ET)

The Army Safety Center was on its way to Fort Polk late Tuesday night to investigate, Elliott said.

The OH-58D Kiowa is a scout helicopter used primarily for reconnaissance missions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 21 2002,15:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when they crashed the OH-58D Kiowa helicopter<span id='postcolor'>

I don't like the way the media always jumps in and blames the crew. How do they know it wasn't a system failure?

Where did you read that the crew got blamed? I think i missed that part....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PHY_Hawkeye @ Aug. 21 2002,10:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 21 2002,15:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when they crashed the OH-58D Kiowa helicopter<span id='postcolor'>

I don't like the way the media always jumps in and blames the crew. How do they know it wasn't a system failure?<span id='postcolor'>

Most members of the media today are clueless anyway, they are talking heads or cranking out copy without checking facts.

Being the first to report a story is often more important than getting the facts straight -- a Cessna 172 becomes a twin-engine aircraft, a C-130 becomes a "military jet", a handgun becomes an "assault weapon", and an AR-15 becomes a "machine gun". mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 21 2002,18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Where did you read that the crew got blamed?  I think i missed that part....<span id='postcolor'>

The report says they crashed it rather than saying it crashed. The reporter is blaming the crew.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 21 2002,16:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Two soldiers killed in helicopter crash<span id='postcolor'>

Ha, On a side note that reminds me of when I tryed to fly an A-10 in OFP. My god I suck at flying. IS IT POSSIBLE?!?!?!?!?!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bob_Boberston @ Aug. 21 2002,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ha, On a side note that reminds me of when I tryed to fly an A-10 in OFP. My god I suck at flying. IS IT POSSIBLE?!?!?!?!?!<span id='postcolor'>

Yes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 21 2002,23:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It helps to have a joystick, especially with choppers.  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

... choppers are easy to fly(FOR ME!!! ) in ofp... good or at least interesting idea anyway to do it with the mouse and not like always with the joystick or keyboard.. dont forget ... its not only a choppersim... its a war sim so you have to make compromises... its an interesting idea to fly planes with the mouse too... ok ..its quite impossible... but its an interesting idea biggrin.gif

I am actually getting prettu good at nap of earth flight and pop and drop using hills for cover. I still have a little problem with high speed combat insertions, but I am working on it smile.gif

On topic,

I've found that in crashes of almost all non combat sorts, it gets blamed on the flight crew. Why? Because in the vast majority of cases the fault is with the crew. Either because they didnt notice something wrong with the AC, or because they screwed the pooch during the flight.

Sort of sucks..but it's generally the truth.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Aug. 22 2002,02:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am actually getting prettu good at nap of earth flight and pop and drop using hills for cover.  I still have a little problem with high speed combat insertions, but I am working on it smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I could give you some pointers. Right now, Im trying to cross train the grunts in our squad so we will be more adaptable

wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Aug. 22 2002,03wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Aug. 22 2002,02:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am actually getting prettu good at nap of earth flight and pop and drop using hills for cover.  I still have a little problem with high speed combat insertions, but I am working on it smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I could give you some pointers. Right now, Im trying to cross train the grunts in our squad so we will be more adaptable<span id='postcolor'>

Tex: Do you fly with joystick or mouse?

I am pretty good at landing choppers if I can use the command view. Then I can without any trouble land directly on for instance the roofs of the tall buildings in Petrovice.

With just first person view I really suck sad.gif

OFP is the only flight game where I dont use my joystick. I find that the keyboard/mouse combo is perfect for OFP, and besides, for some reason my joystick doesnt party with OFP. Go figure. Anyhoo, you cant fly until you can fly in 1st person only, as thats the trend most tourneys and public servers are heading (at least stateside). Its tough at first, but you will be a better OFP pilot for it though, trust me.

Im getting good with the choppers. I actualy fly them with a mouse. How I land them, is shove on auto hover and quickly decrease your altitude. If you dont immediatly do that, the helicopter will go out of control for a while and you have to wrestle with the cxontrols to regain control.

Another tragedy, the OFP Forums, your daily source of misery tounge.gif

You seem to have a lot of accidents over in America, but then you have over 300million people to have accidents.