Sign in to follow this  
JohnKalo

Missile lock and parachutes

Two simple issues bother me.

1] How can you lock on an enemy plane while you are flying with a military jet?

I have tried locking on helicopters with sidewider missiles but nothing seems to happen. Am I doing something wrong or is helicopter "locking" unavailable?

2]When I land via a parachute I always tend to get injured. Something really annoying taking into consideration that afterwards I can not aim correctly.

There is no control while I am descending whatsoever. Sometimes I spin around and some not. I don't seem to get it. What am I doing so wrongly?

A prompt reply much appreciated.

1) Use the Lock or Zoom key binding; it defaults to Hold Right Mouse Button. Then get the reticle on your jet's HUD pointed at the target, hold down the right mouse button, and a green square should appear around the target. Then a green ring will appear inside the circle and slowly shrink to fit into the square. Once the tone of the beeping signal changes and the ring stops shrinking, you can fire.

2) What mission are you on? Are you using the mod ACE?

1) Use the Lock or Zoom key binding; it defaults to Hold Right Mouse Button. Then get the reticle on your jet's HUD pointed at the target, hold down the right mouse button, and a green square should appear around the target. Then a green ring will appear inside the circle and slowly shrink to fit into the square. Once the tone of the beeping signal changes and the ring stops shrinking, you can fire.

Many thanks. Things are more transparent now. Will try it out as soon as I can. It is really frustrating to try and shoot down slow moving helicopters with the front turret. Now it will be hard to fly via joystick and press the right mouse button at the same time, so is there another way of locking on a target? Is it possible to change the default button?

2) What mission are you on? Are you using the mod ACE?

I am on a remake of the Shapur_100_Revisited mission which was made for Take on Helicopters and was greatly enhanced by the Arma 2 content. And no, I am not using any ACE mod. In fact I don't even know what that is. Will it help somehow?

It's an arma 2 mod so I would imagine it would do more harm than good. So when you're using tab to cycle targets with a sidewinder from Take On Reloaded, it will not target helicopters? Will it not target all helicopters or certain helicopters?

It is possible the damage your avatar is taking happens when the aircraft is getting damaged by whatever forces you to eject.

It's an arma 2 mod so I would imagine it would do more harm than good.

Thanks for the heads up. Will keep away.

So when you're using tab to cycle targets with a sidewinder from Take On Reloaded, it will not target helicopters? Will it not target all helicopters or certain helicopters?

I have only tried with one type of helicopter and I will be more specific when I check which that is. And I only kept the target in the circle so as for it to lock. I didn't press any other button. I will once I can.

It is possible the damage your avatar is taking happens when the aircraft is getting damaged by whatever forces you to eject.

Well there have been some occasions when my jet was critically damaged but most of the times I am out of ammo and since there is no way to reload I just eject to fight on foot. And when my jet is damaged the AA guns are causing damage to the wings and the engine but no bullet seems to be causing harm to me, the pilot. Is it that you get injured once you are shot at any part of the plane?

I'm uncertain but usually if a vehicle gets damaged in arma, the crew seem to share it. I haven't done any specific testing to investigate that tho. It might have something to do with blast radii. It sounds like it might not be the case in your scenario. In a situation where you were hit by a missile I would say that it was probably the explosion.

Thanks man. I did as you suggested and everything went well. The only thing is that I didn't need to hold the right mouse button to lock. I just instantly pressed it and the green square appeared and so on. A minor issue off course.

I'm uncertain but usually if a vehicle gets damaged in arma, the crew seem to share it. I haven't done any specific testing to investigate that tho. It might have something to do with blast radii. It sounds like it might not be the case in your scenario. In a situation where you were hit by a missile I would say that it was probably the explosion.

Well as it seems if you get shot by any kind of AA gun, you are instantly injured or something like that. I tried parachuting after accumulating no damage at all and no injuries were reported. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to control the parachute even though I have managed the parachuting tutorials of Arma 2 successfully.

So is there something special to be made in order to parachute correctly and not uncontrollably?