Sign in to follow this  
ChickenBandit

Spawning units in all buildings of a certain type in a radius from the player

I'm trying to spawn a civilian in every church within 2000m distance of the player's starting position. I've written a script for it, and it doesn't throw any errors when I launch the mission but the units do not spawn. I've included my code below, any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?

house_positions = [];
buildings = nearestObjects [player, ["House"], 2000];

{    
   if((typeOf _x) in ["Land_Chapel_Small_V2_ruins_F", "Land_Chapel_Small_V1_ruins_F", "Land_Chapel_Small_V2_F", "Land_Chapel_Small_V2_ruins_F", "Land_Chapel_V1_F", "Land_Chapel_V1_ruins_F", "Land_Chapel_V2_F", "Land_Chapel_V2_ruins_F"]) then {
       _pos  = getPosATL _x;
       house_positions = house_positions + [_pos];
   };
} foreach buildings;

{
_x spawn {
		if ((count buildings) > 0) then {
			_church = buildings select 0;
			if ((typeOf _church) in ["Land_Chapel_Small_V2_ruins_F","Land_Chapel_Small_V1_ruins_F","Land_Chapel_Small_V2_F","Land_Chapel_Small_V2_ruins_F","Land_Chapel_V1_F","Land_Chapel_V1_ruins_F","Land_Chapel_V2_F","Land_Chapel_V2_ruins_F"]) then {
				_group = createGroup west;
				_char = "C_man_hunter_1_F" createUnit [_x, _group];
		};
	};
};
} forEach house_positions;

I think you need to make sure you have a centre before you can create a group of that type.

Anyway, this code works and it's a bit simpler too:

churches = ["Land_Chapel_Small_V2_ruins_F", "Land_Chapel_Small_V1_ruins_F", "Land_Chapel_Small_V2_F", "Land_Chapel_Small_V2_ruins_F", "Land_Chapel_V1_F", "Land_Chapel_V1_ruins_F", "Land_Chapel_V2_F", "Land_Chapel_V2_ruins_F"];
nearchurches = nearestObjects [position vehicle player,churches,2000]; 
_centerc = createCenter civilian;
hintsilent format ["%1",count nearchurches];
{
_group = creategroup civilian;
_char = "C_man_hunter_1_F" createUnit [(getposatl _x), _group];
} forEach nearchurches;

[s][color="#FF0000"]_char =[/color][/s] "C_man_hunter_1_F" createUnit [(getposatl _x), _group];

That's the OFP version of createUnit which does not return anything, so _char will be undefined. In order to capture the unit you'd need to use createUnit array instead:

_char = _group createUnit ["C_man_hunter_1_F", (getposatl _x), [], 0, "FORM"];

[s][color="#FF0000"]_char =[/color][/s] "C_man_hunter_1_F" createUnit [(getposatl _x), _group];

That's the OFP version of createUnit which does not return anything, so _char will be undefined. In order to capture the unit you'd need to use createUnit array instead:

_char = _group createUnit ["C_man_hunter_1_F", (getposatl _x), [], 0, "FORM"];

Thanks for that Kylania, very helpful!