Sign in to follow this  
vani

New to modelling, how do you know if Model is too scale?

Hi, i am not getting any response in the arma 3 section so i figured i'd come here for help using o2.

I had a look at this tutorial http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/brsseb/tutorials/lesson3/lesson3_b.htm and was wondeirng how he got that template so that he could trace over it. In addition how he made it and how he knew it was to scale.

Any help on this would be great as there are no tutorials i can find on this anywhere!

I don't know how you guys start out when learning a new program like this! How do you know everything is going to fit and be scaled correctly in addition how do you change it if it isn't?

Many thanks, vani.

O2 is metric. The grid is 1m x 1m. If you create a box with size 1x1x1 it will be 1m3. Measurement tool reads in meters too.

Yes i know that. What i'm asking- I might as well just tell you.

I'm modelling a humvee. I have the dimensions but i don't want to draw the general shape out the way i imagine it, i'd like to use an overlay that i can use to trace the shape therefore giving me a much more realistic and to scale model.

The problem:

I have 2 side on images however they are either not scaled correctly or i've put them into 02 the wrong way. How do i make it to scale for 02 myself and/or how do i get the images i have into 02 to trace around using vertices? An example would be an example i'll post in a minute. It's a tutorial i'm following and this guy made his own blue print to follow and trace over.

Again it's the shape of the humvee i don't understand how to trace and place into o2.

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/brsseb/tutorials/lesson3/lesson3_b.htm <- the tutorial i'm following, it's excellent!

There is no 'trace' tool in O2. You'd be better off modelling it in some other program, to be honest.

You say the tut is excellent yet you can't get past step one. Actually it sounds like the tut isn't so good.

In your tutorial what the guy is doing is placing floating vertices on the xy(?) plane using the insert key to drop vertices. Later he'll build a face out of those vertices, then a 3d shape out of the faces. To measure the distance between two points on your image, you can use temporary vertices dropped in that same manner, then use the measuring tool.

Edited by Max Power

No, i'm tracing the "blue print" by hand. Any free reccomendations? I figured 02 would be best as it's made for BI games.

No, i've followed that tutorial through and done it. What i WANTED to know was how to either MAKE a blueprint or get an image refference to fit the dimensions i have both i have now discovered on my own.

What i'm TRYING to do i make a vehicle, but i lack the relevant blueprints to follow and trace by hand and was wondering either how to make them or how to get regular images and use them as blueprints i believe i have found the answers now however. If anyone reads this in future, find the correct dimensions for your object and place a single verticie on the ground line, then copy paste and move the new verticie upward on the Y axis for the height of your object. Copy and paste this vertice and move it on the Z axis for the length. Now acquire any image you won't to use to trace the shape of the object on all it's sides, front, rear etc... and in o2 press A, right click, load texture and load the side texture. Now shape the image contents to the vertices you've made. You now have a "blueprint" to trace with by hand. You can only have 2 textures (as far as i know) loaded at any 1 time. To add another "blueprint" press A again and instead of load texture select Add texture ensuring your are on the correct face for the texture.