Sign in to follow this  
fujix

Binocular sway

What amazes me is that people hold something for 5 seconds and suddenly think that they're an expert on it and think that their experience applies to all situations...

Just like in shooting, the basic stance limitations still apply. The closer you are to the ground the more stable you'll become and just like in shooting, the basic foundation is good solid bone support and natural point of aim.

What people don't notice is that when you try to hold something up, even if it's just the weight of your arm, your muscles are twitching thanks to the constant impulses being sent to keep your arm up. Now combine that with standing up...Your eyes are seeing something and sending the information to your brain which is making constant adjustments to your entire body to keep you from falling over... and holding up your arm... and focusing on whatever it is you're focusing on. On top of all that you can add gear...which causes fatigue, which causes more sway. This is something that affects everyone... from the 90lbs weakling to the 300lbs strong man competitor.

To those saying that they can hold binoculars perfectly still while standing up.... It might look perfectly still if you're looking through binos with no crosshair, low power, looking at a fairly close object, or just simply not paying attention but I can pretty much guarantee there is sway and the minute you really focus in on putting a certain point on a certain distant target you'll realize it.

There is a reason that good laser range finders and laser designators come with tripods or at least have the option to be mounted on some sort of stable platform.

I’m not saying the Bino sway is realistic or doesn’t need to be changed…I haven’t paid much attention to it in order to decide. What I can say is that no sway at all is totally unrealistic. I didn't seem to mind it in Alpha.

For reference, these are the standard issue binos we used in the Marine Corps. http://www.galls.com/steiner-10x50-military-marine-binocular (Issued to Squad leaders, Section leaders, and Platoon Sergeants only.)

And here are the vectors. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Leica_Vector_rangefinder_2007_07_14_n2.jpg

Edited by Squirrel0311

...In arma both binocs and markers have the same sway so while I would be happy to have steady binocs, I am not so thrilled about the laser pointers being handled like they weight nothing and my arms have some sort of auto stabilizing device in them.

And because your eyes compensate, doesn't mean that the laser is going to be steady on target...

----

...For now I am happy with what they've done. Given the lack of resting, and the limited lethality of binoculars I think it is fair enough. But it will make me cringe when I see someone lasing a target while standing up...

I fully agree. They should make a different sway to simulate the difference in weight. Binos should be much more stable with more quicker smaller movements, the heavier markers should sway more and slower. Ofcourse prone should have them both steady.

And the eyes are compensating already as you can look at one object even though it's moving on your screen.

Binoculars sway in real life just like a rifle scope does. There were many times in Afghanistan I had to pin them against a wall or get a lower position (just like shooting) to get a good look at what I was observing.

If you think they don't sway you just must be an elite binocularing stud and deserve a Bino Tab.

Binoculars sway in real life just like a rifle scope does. There were many times in Afghanistan I had to pin them against a wall or get a lower position (just like shooting) to get a good look at what I was observing.

If you think they don't sway you just must be an elite binocularing stud and deserve a Bino Tab.

Yep, exactly what I was saying. I'd like to to see those people just try to stand up with out swaying while wearing 80-100lbs of gear, then add the heat, being hungry, being tired.. stomping up the side of a mountain and trying to zero in on a spec.

After reviewing in the editor, I will say that the STANDING sway with FULL STAMINA is a bit excessive. The range of motion should be changed I think... When looking through the binos while...

NOT TIRED: The sway is slow but drifts pretty FAR up, down, left, and right. This isn't correct because your brain and muscles do a better job compensating when you're rested.

TIRED - The sway is fast but the area of movement stays FAIRLY TIGHT around the object trying to be viewed. In real life your brain is sending signals but your muscles are fatigued which takes more work and normally makes you end up over compensating.. not to mention the feeling of being about to pass out.

So keep the respective slow and fast movement but change the range of the sway movement. (That's just the simple solution without getting into different sway for different optics.)

Again... personally I would rather see them focus on the big issues before spending time on this.

NOT TIRED: The sway is slow but drifts pretty FAR up, down, left, and right. This isn't correct because your brain and muscles do a better job compensating when you're rested.

TIRED - The sway is fast but the area of movement stays FAIRLY TIGHT around the object trying to be viewed. In real life your brain is sending signals but your muscles are fatigued which takes more work and normally makes you end up over compensating.. not to mention the feeling of being about to pass out.

So keep the respective slow and fast movement but change the range of the sway movement. (That's just the simple solution without getting into different sway for different optics.)

Again... personally I would rather see them focus on the big issues before spending time on this.

Is that in devbranch or in stable? cause it seemed in devbranch that binoc sway is exactly the same across prone, standing, crouched.

Is that in devbranch or in stable? cause it seemed in devbranch that binoc sway is exactly the same across prone, standing, crouched.

No, in the STABLE version. It might shift to the same motion after the intitial pattern or something.. it looks a lot different on mine though. I stood in one spot and focused on a truck off in the distance...my cross hair seemed to drift to the left and down really far with just one finger on the mouse..

I then ran down the hill and back up until my screen got hazy, stood on the same mark and zoomed in again with one finger on the mouse... It seemed to make a faster but tighter pattern, still drifting more to the left and down.

In both tries I used other objects (orange containers) to try and measure how far down the drift was and how far to the sides.

I only got to try it twice though before I had to leave so maybe there was something I'm missing. To me it looked different...

Also, when I was first setting up the test and moving the crosshair around it seemed like there was much more noticable drift after moving the cross hair around (Compensating) while rested vs moving it around while exhausted...though it's hard to tell with it moving so fast. I was not standing in the exact same spot for that test though.

/I remembered wrong. There's difference in sway between stances. It's just that the stand sway is now so slow that you can come to that conculsion easily. When you're tired you can clearly see that there's more sway/speed in stand than prone position. I'm talking about dev branch.

Edited by St. Jimmy
There was a difference

Exactly the same as in sway/drift or speed of the drift too?

It seems to move a lot faster when you're fatigued in the STABLE version... Did yall try that out yet?

Like I said only did standing and that's what I got from first glance. Aside from slapping down a Squad Leader, truck, and containers I didn't get to spend much time on it before I had to go.