Sign in to follow this  
frankfranconi

Finding all watchtowers on Altis

I was just trying to soak up as much of Altis as possible and I already have some cool ideas for missions. I really love those giant watchtowers they introduced and I'm sure one of them would be a great spot for some kind of scenario. However, it's incredibly inefficient, considering the islands size, to just fly around trying to find each tower to check if it would be suitable.

That's why I've been wondering if there's any way in SQF scripting to iterate through all the buildings on the map, filter for a certain classname and maybe mark all the occurences on the map.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Unfortunately many map objects don't have classnames, so you can't do a simple hide and switch. In some cases, like cargo containers, even though classnames exist for them the map objects aren't referenced by them. This is very Sad Panda-ing.

In this case though, rejoice! "Land_Cargo_Tower_V1_F"

Great, so I suppose at least I can now spawn a watchtower using a script. You have some very useful scripting examples on your site, by the way. I can really use these since I'm a beginner at scripting.

So, I still don't exactly know how to get all the buildings of a certain classname. Do you know if there's some way to get an array with all buildings on the map?

I'm having trouble reliably finding these towers. There's SO many objects on the map I keep crashing when I try to search more than 1-2km distance.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Whee!

ykoMBys.jpg

_i =  1;
{

_name = format["m%1", _i];
     _foo = createmarker [_name, getPos _x];
     _foo setMarkerTypeLocal "mil_dot";
     _foo setMarkerColorLocal "ColorRed";
     _i = _i + 1;

} forEach nearestObjects [player, ["Cargo_Tower_base_F"], 5500];

Setting the range to 5500 locked my game up for a few seconds. 3500 wasn't bad though. Locked my game up for a minute to do 10,000 range.

Edited by kylania

Wow, it's amazing how easily you can do that kind of stuff if you just know the commands. Thanks, this really helped!

Yeah, didn't go too bad. Just put myself in the middle of the island for a couple of minutes and here are all the watchtowers!

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/717/84gk.png (1002 kB)

Full size

Edited by frankfranconi

Now we just need to find that cave !!!!

No... We need to find the underwater ancient civilizations!

No... We need to find the underwater ancient civilizations!

Done that, found a small smugglers like cave too.

Will be using Kylania's genius later to make sure I found all the undersea wrecks later though, took a day to look for them manualy even with the water surface bug and you always miss one or two that are sandwitched between rock formations.

I don't understand something... you guys are able to play on Atlis but i'm not why?

:butbut: Totally the wrong place to ask a question like that buddy and so descriptive as well.

I don't understand something... you guys are able to play on Atlis but i'm not why?

get into development branch. Go to your game preferences in Steam, beta tab, select dev branch, and accept. download the stuff and enjoy. or just wait 14 days and you'll get it.

We're using the development build. BI deploys all the new, untested stuff there to see how it's working. That's why you get stuff earlier this way, but it may also be buggy at times.