Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Does war have to look real to feel real to you?

I hear about people who think parts of OFP really get them thinking about it in real life terms. The sight of dead, battered soldiers half out of the windshield of a wrecked Ural giving them the shivvers, the sense of aloneness or helplessness when youre the last man alive in your unit and you need to get to the Evac point (I think we all know what campaign mission i'm talking about  wink.gif ), etc.

More often than not, i still see even the most intense fights in OFP as just a scene in a game. Mostly cause it really doesnt look all that real to me.

So do looks play a part for you in making something like that feel more real?

since i never been in military, i can't tell what's REAL.

however, for me, interaction is what gives me this feel of realism. for example, when I have to crawl around with M21 as a sniper, I sometimes get absrobed into the game, and how trees and bushes look don't matter. all i care is where enemy could be hiding and how i take care of him. as a sniper, I feel a great sense of ego when i take enemy from a distance.

but during game, such realism consideration of death and so on is not present cuz i'm more occupied with saving my ass.

not at all. ofp doesn't even come 25% of how grewsome war is. there is no game that has or ever will simulate "real war" and i don't really think that there should be such a game that simulates down the finest detail. we have enough war now.

I sometimes get the feeling but you really have to set the mood like is the sitation hopeless or something like that. I really get the feeling though IRL like in paintball or something. The true fear of death is never there but emotions like desperation and a sort of fear but not the fear for your life in a game.

Iv gotten that feeling from some of the special operations missions in OFP. Like the ones where you have to crawl the whole way there and back and the sound of your players heart beating and heavy breathing is the dominant sound. Those times honestly got my heart pounding. I can remember thinking things like "Oh My God, they're gonna turn around and find me!".

Other than that, the only game thats come close to making me feel like i was really there was Rogue Spear. I can remember taking hours to complete a single mission.

The reason computer games will never feel like real war is because you don't have to worry about dying.

Loose your life.. simply reload from the last point you saved.

Until there is the desire to keep your character alive, there will never be the remote sensation of realism.

Yeah, i know, but the question i'm proposing is 'Would just making everything look more real make it feel more real to you?' I'm just talking about looks here.

<Morbid> Not until virtual reality reaches the level of The Matrix.... when I can be splattered with blood from the guy standing next to me and actually feel its warmth amongst the lumpy grey matter of his brain. </Morbid>

No, altering the looks doesn't matter.... as atmosphere rather than looks counts more to me. But to make it really feel like true war, it would have to be either the Matrix.. or a real war..

For most of my friends it has to look very good and be extremely smooth to feel real. While personally I can handle low framerates and worse graphics if I get the strategy side of it. ie, huge map, lots of units, driving,flying,walking, etc.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Diablo=MOH= @ Aug. 17 2002,00:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The main point of a game is just to have fun! No need to worry about how it compares to the real world.<span id='postcolor'>

I dont know if id agree with that. On one hand, youre absolutely right; the point of a game is to do what you want wtihout the consequences. But, on the other hand, the reason i play games like OFP and the rainbow six series is because they relate to real life as good as they do.