Sign in to follow this  
JeProject

AI men stuck

I keep finding my friendly AI men getting 'stuck' in nothing. I can see they are trying to move when I tell them but are glued to the floor.

At first I only noticed this happening to high command subordinates and put it down to the AI being retarded, but now it's happening with units in my squad.

I've also had all my units rifles disappearing.

Been looking into whether I might have triggered FADE or something. For the moment Arma2 is unplayable and it always happens when I'm fairly far into a mission so it's extra frustrating.

Edit: Version 1.62.95248

Edit: Looking further into fade I don't think it's that as my accuracy of weapons is fine. Help :(

Edited by JeProject

No mods interacting with the Vanilla game ?

No mods. I should've also mentioned it's Combined Operations.

I'm using several other vanilla modules besides HC though: Simple Support, the 3 First aid, ambient and environment ones. I don't know if any of these are related and it takes too long for the problem to arise to definitely determine if it's these by process of elimination.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Also now that I think about it I'm fairly sure it has only happened on Chenaraus. If it happens again I will try and video it using my phone and upload it.

Have you tried to replicate the issue with vanilla CO (not the beta) and with no mods loaded for a stock BIS mission/campaign?

If that works fine then it's likely a conflict between two mods, two mission-scripts, or a mod and a mission script.

Always start troubleshooting with the vanilla game without mods. If the vanilla game install has issues, ladding in mods or complex scripting only makes diagnosis much more difficult or even impossible.

Well it was happening with No mods and no scripting. The only thing I had was me and my squad and another squad I was controlling using High command. I know what you're saying about keeping it basic to test but how basic can I make it. Just me and another AI man walking about for ages till he can't move?

I found a couple of places - a rock on Utes, another on a user-made island - where either an AI or the player can get stuck, jittering instead of moving; but I've never encountered a more general issue. Nor have I ever seen rifles disappearing, that is very odd. If you have Steam I suggest running the "verify" tool, but otherwise - unless a search of the forum turns something up - it might be quicker in the long run to reinstall. Sorry I can't be of more help.

That's alright mate no problem, it's a very weird issue and I've never come across anyone else with it so it's obviously circumstantial rather than a general bug. It hasn't happened at all whilst playing on Takistan and it's only ever happened on Chen which I've been to scared to play in case it happens again. Maybe something to do with the buildings on it.

An afterthought - have you tried team-switching to a stuck unit & testing whether it can move as a player?

Also Guenter Severloh just posted in the COWarmod thread that ARD can be useful when units become unresponsive.

Team switching was something I did not think to try as I've only ever used it once on the campaign mission where you have to clear the road of mines. This I will def try when/if it happens again. Can I also team switch to another squad though if it happens to them again?

That ARD mod sounds very interesting in general but I'm not convinced it will help this situation, though I'm still going to get it. It's def not because they are under fire and I've had it happen when they are set to aware. I'm pretty confident controlling friendly AI and until I started having this problem I've never had any real difficulties apart from the usual sporadic and rare retardation of mostly vehicle driving units driving into trees and the like.

It feels to me more like a routing problem, where the AI can't decide the best way to go, although I have obviously tried setting a new waypoint for them and still no joy.

I'll be giving the Chen map a go tonight with All around defense cos that mod sounds awesome. We'll see how I get on.

You can switch to any unit that you set as "Playable" in the Editor.

ARD is indeed a great mod.

Another possible workaround just came to mind. In Hell in the Pacific, there's an addAction for getting yourself or one of your units unstuck from a sticky rock or a tight spot in a bunker, which happens occasionally. I suspect that it simply moves the unit a metre or so by changing the X &/or Y values. Might be worth seeing if that approach gets your units moving (suggesting it's a terrain issue) or not (suggesting something more obscure).

If the guys that are stuck in a limbo have their side arms out, then it is the old pistol bug. They have the pistol out, but if you switch to that unit and change weapon the action menu it shows the pistol as not being used, while it is already being used. It happens randomly and mostly after an hour in a mission or so. I had in arma3 too a couple of times, its even shown in video´s.