Sign in to follow this  
quadrono

Game freezes for 20 to 25 seconds then comes back

This behavior is new to the beta it did not occur during the alpha. Arma 3 freezes for 20 to 25 seconds constantly, some times 2 times a minute. I cannot tie it to any action I or the game takes. When this happens I can still hear all voice chat but cannot move or chat back. Other players have said that I vanish when the freeze happens. It is getting very very frustrating. Nothing like getting in a great group and rampaging around only to have them take off and leave me cause I cannot respond in chat or get in the helo with them.

The freeze happens in multiplayer and in the editor as well, although not as frequently in the editor.

Im running an i5 3550k on an Asrock Extreme6 mobo, 16 gigs of ram, evga gtx 770, drivers/bios are all upto date.

I cannot tell if its a network issue or a hardware one.

Anyone experiencing this or have experienced it in the past? any ideas?

Thanks much

q

Well the freezing issue is appearantly fixed. Either something pushed out yesterday (8/15) or adding maxMem=8192 and disabling VSync seems to have done the trick. Played for almost 4 hours straight last night with out a single freeze.

Well the freezing issue is appearantly fixed. Either something pushed out yesterday (8/15) or adding maxMem=8192 and disabling VSync seems to have done the trick. Played for almost 4 hours straight last night with out a single freeze.

Was there a small red chain icon in the lower right side of the screen when the freeze occurred?

adding maxMem=8192
Add that to your parameter string?

Was there a small red chain icon in the lower right side of the screen when the freeze occurred?

Occasionally, but not always. What exactly does the yellow or red chain mean?

Occasionally, but not always. What exactly does the yellow or red chain mean?

Connection to the server has been lost, everything usually stops moving while the chain icon's there, frozen in place.

Edit: regarding your maxmem parameter, 2047 is the hard-coded maximum (anything higher falls back to 2047).

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters

Edited by Furret

Add that to your parameter string?

Yeah to the Steam launch parameters for Arma3. I have 16gb of RAM so I figured 8192 was a good number.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

Connection to the server has been lost, everything usually stops moving while the chain icon's there, frozen in place.

Is that the "Desync" that everone is mentioning in Side Channel? Forgive me for not being 100% on the lingo yet. Is loosing connection to the server that frequently when your ping showed as 37 in the server browser normal?

Is that the "Desync" that everone is mentioning in Side Channel? Forgive me for not being 100% on the lingo yet. Is loosing connection to the server that frequently when your ping showed as 37 in the server browser normal?

Its entirely dependant on the server, if the server is low on resources or running a poorly coded mission, it could crash, leading to the disconnection of everyone.

Desync is a symptom of many things, server running low on resources, bad mission scripts, genuine engine bugs etc. The server then needs to 'catch-up' and provide everyone playing the same data.