Sign in to follow this  
Ice_Rhino

Proof Reading a Tutorial

Hi All,

With all the fun and mistakes I made trying to get an insertion and extraction of AI squad via helo I thought I would write up what I did/learned and post it. Even perhaps considering doing my first YouTube video for it. I intend to make the mission available (sqm) as part of the tutorial so people can see for themselves.

I just wondered whether anyone in the know would be willing to read (just over one page of A4) what I have typed up. I intend to go through it step by step myself first but subject to any changes I make I would like someone to cast a knowing eye over it.

Kindest Regards

Edited by Ice_Rhino
Bad Grammer on Right instead of write

Are we sitting comfortably, then we shall begin..............

Oh actually just read it here SkyDrive Link

Be gentle, just learning and trying to help others

First second thoughts...

Separate all code samples into code display blocks.

Bold or otherwise highlight all controls.

Italize or otherwise highlight all variable/object names.

No one uses the word "bespoke" :) "Where I have listed names to use for units I have marked them in red." might be better?

You're using the funky ' (single quote). People are going to copy/paste that and it's going to cause issues. Stick with just a color highlight or italics. You also don't use that uniformly. Definitely remove all single quotes and replace with highlight boxes.

Maybe include pictures from the editor, especially for things like init fields and the like.

( ) are used to control the order of evaluation. Just like in math:

2 + 2 * 2 = 6 vs (2 + 2) * 2 = 8

[ ] is an array, a data type which is a list of things. _units = [unit1, unit2, unit3];

{ } is a code block. As in the code executed for each passthrough of a forEach.

You can get around the whole lone alive OR in u1-8 stuff by naming your group in step 3 (groupName = group this; in the leader's init) instead of naming each unit. Then replacing the condition with:

{alive _x and _x in blu_exthelo_1} count units groupName == {alive _x} count units groupName

You name the player, player_1 but never use that variable. You also don't need to name the player since you can use player to refer to him later. Sometimes you need the unit name though, but it shouldn't be "player" but instead something more specific like unit1 or p1 or whatever.

Edited by kylania

I get the idea of what you are saying. I will rewrite it accordingly.

Thanks

Here's a quick example of what I was thinking with some of my suggestions.

u6nUgeF.jpg

Posted a reply and it hasn't appeared, weird. Anyway,

My sincere thanks to you both. I shall try to incorporate both your sets of suggestions and repost here accordingly.

Again, my thanks

I would be interested too. I'm writing some guides at my forum and i'll publish some scripts from my mission later on :)

The community here helped me alot, especially kylania so i'm giving something back to them.

The revised version is complete. It is available here on my SkyDrive Link

It should be a hybrid of KYL and CUEL suggestions

I await your opinion(s)

Thanks again