Sign in to follow this  
RE-EM

Advantages of different scopes?

Hi,

I wanted to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different scopes in Arma 3. From what I have seen, rarely anybody uses any other scope than RCO or the OPFOR equivalent in multiplayer. So when are scopes like ACO, Holo and even iron sights used? And what would the advantages be? It's slightly annoying to see my friends run around with RCO's and tell me that other scopes are useless. Please share your knowledge and experience.

Depends on your environment. Stratis doesn't have large urban areas for example. If all your engagements are 300+m, the advantage of magnifying scopes is obvious. And costs are irrelevant, since nobody has to pay those scopes.

But you can always use the secondary scope and you will always be ready for long and short distance combat. I still see no point in using Holo and ACO, but I do want to find out what they're for.

Well the holo sight for example has a broader "lens" which enhances CQC accuracy, in my case at least. Ad it goes without saying that the sniper sight offers superior magnification than any other scope.

Iron sights also may extend the duration of a engagement and subsequently the mission. Try engaging a target at 100m+ with irons sights. Now try at 300+. Over 500 it would be wise to wait for the guy with the long range or sniper scope to relocate to your position from wherever he is in order to take said target out. Then consider that fact that a 4 man fire team would decide that it would be unwise to go crazy and open fire on patrol if they are equipped with CQC sights and said patrol is lets say 200m away from them.

The true flavor of each item emerges when each player has a defined role throughout the whole mission and is limited to certain gear by a set of rules convened upon at the start of the mission with the rest of the players. In the group I play with for example, it is forbidden to pick up enemy weapons unless there is absolutely no more ammunition to spare. This makes the player respect the capabilities of the gear assigned to him and not take it for granted like most players do in persistent mission like Evolution and similar ones.

Edited by Maio

I use the RCO out to 600 meters.

And if I don't have the RCO, I just use ironsights out to 500 meters.

if the target is a slight bit farther, then I"ll probably have a spare Sniper scope in my backpack for that.

anything past 850 meters is a nogo for standard rifles though.

While using a sniper however, the minimum engagement distance is essentially 1km. So using anything other than the sniper scope on it is pointless.

But at close range <200meters holo sights are just generally better than ironsights.

Also while using an autorifle/machinegun, it's usually the MRCO I'm using, out to 800meters.

Edited by Fragmagnet

Hi,

I wanted to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different scopes in Arma 3. From what I have seen, rarely anybody uses any other scope than RCO or the OPFOR equivalent in multiplayer. So when are scopes like ACO, Holo and even iron sights used? And what would the advantages be? It's slightly annoying to see my friends run around with RCO's and tell me that other scopes are useless. Please share your knowledge and experience.

I will explain the different uses for each scope I see:

ACO: CQB and distances up to 200m. (I prefer the red dot rather than green dot and arrow).

HOLO: CQB and distances up to 300m. (Better than the ACO, but more difficult to find scavenging enemies).

ARCO/RCO: distances from 200 to 600 meters. Not that good for CQB. (I prefer the RCO).

MRCO: the best in my opinion. Very good for CQB and middle distances (ranges from 20 to 600m).

SOS: distances of more than 300 meters, and exclusively with marksman or sniper rifles for 600m+ distances (other guns will most probably be useless due to spread). Rather useless in CQB.

In distances of less than 20 meters a sight is not necessary, I would just spray and pray.

Since most of the combats in the game happen in 200+ meters, then ACO and Holo are almost useless. But for clearing Agia Marina, Girna or sweeping the woods in CQB, those, along with MRCO are the best. When playing with VAS I always pick the MRCO, or a RCO+Holo in the vest.