Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Please help me with my professional placement :)

A Professional Placement is when your degree is inflated by a year in industry smile.gif

So instead of doing your BSc in 3 years, you do it in 4 because you add the year in industry smile.gif

Right, I have a form here asking me to indicate my fields of interest. This is for a degree called "Computing&Information Technology" by the way. Some of the stuff is fairly straightforward:

Web Page Design (we haven't had a course on server based stuff yet though confused.gif ), Networking, Programming. Those are fairly straightforward.

Now, the things that are puzzling me:

- Information Technology: What type of work would that be, as opposed to the items above? I always thought IT is the above plus administrative work?

- Commerce (help desk, sales, marketing): What does this have to do with my degree? The way I understand it I would be sitting in an office trying to come up with strategies to sell things? Computers would be just a tool? Or am I wrong?

- Business (analyst, help desk): The way I understand it I would be doing analyis of rival or client companies, and or fixing the computers in the building? Not too relevant to my degree, is it?

- Government Offices (Treasury, DTI, DSS etc.): This beats me entirely. No idea.

- Banks/Finance/Insurance: Not too much of a clue, but I recon it only utilizes Computers as a tool to do Banks/Finance/Insurance work, correct?

If you could help me out with the above things please smile.gif

My favourites so far are Networking, Programming and Computer Games (you can put your own choices too) smile.gif

Cheers in advance biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Government Offices (Treasury, DTI, DSS etc.): This beats me entirely. No idea.<span id='postcolor'> This is the Department of trade and Industry, and the Department for Social Security. Basically civil service stuff. IT is what we call anything with a computer in Britain. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 07 2002,08:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A Professional Placement is when your degree is inflated by a year in industry smile.gif

So instead of doing your BSc in 3 years, you do it in 4 because you add the year in industry smile.gif

Right, I have a form here asking me to indicate my fields of interest. This is for a degree called "Computing&Information Technology" by the way. Some of the stuff is fairly straightforward:

Web Page Design (we haven't had a course on server based stuff yet though confused.gif ), Networking, Programming. Those are fairly straightforward.

Now, the things that are puzzling me:

- Information Technology: What type of work would that be, as opposed to the items above? I always thought IT is the above plus administrative work?<span id='postcolor'>

IT is mainly administration and maintenance, as opposed to web page creation, development etc. Networking, installing software, general repairs/troubeshooting, Database entry, the works.

Anyway, that's the Cdn. Govt. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Aug. 07 2002,14:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- Commerce (help desk, sales, marketing): What does this have to do with my degree? The way I understand it I would be sitting in an office trying to come up with strategies to sell things? Computers would be just a tool? Or am I wrong?

- Business (analyst, help desk): The way I understand it I would be doing analyis of rival or client companies, and or fixing the computers in the building? Not too relevant to my degree, is it?

<snip>

- Banks/Finance/Insurance: Not too much of a clue, but I recon it only utilizes Computers as a tool to do Banks/Finance/Insurance work, correct?<span id='postcolor'>

I'm guessing that when they say commerce, they mean specializing in B2B or B2C stuff. like optimzing sales of your company by using IT.

Business seems to be the one where you have to run business based on your IT skill/knowledge. I guess the difference from Commerce is that you aer doing more of analytical stuff then doing projects to set up a system.

Banks/Finance/Insurance seems to be pointing towards database management. they have loads of data and you should be able to keep them i guess.

hope this helps.

Thanks guys smile.gif

I think I'll do Programming, Web Page Design, Networking and Computer games smile.gif