Sign in to follow this  
brad7

Having trouble with my vest

I have made a vest just needs texturing but im just trying to put it into oxygen and from there into game to see what it is like but when i put the file in oxygen it is offscale and items on the vest have inverted to the opposite side of the vest. I tested in 3ds max for the scale and it matched the BIS character example but was largley off scale in oxygen. I exported it as an .obj file.

Any help would be great thanks.

My models often import with objects mirrored to the opposite side from what I modelled in Maya. It's a simple fix, just select the 'Invert X' checkbox when importing, or import as normal and go in into the Front/Back viewport to select everything (ctrl+A), and click \points\transform 2D\Mirror X. You might have to reverse faces on some objects as well - have a look at the model in Buldozer and if any objects have backwards faces, select them and press W.

As for the scaling being wrong, it might depend on what 'system units' you have your 3DS scene set to. O2 uses meters so Max should probably be set to meters too. You can handle conversion between different units used to scale the model against the grid in Max to O2's meter scale using the 'Master Scale' option in the O2 import window too - if I modelled something in cm in Maya, when I imported it into O2 I'd have to set the master scale to 0.01 to convert the cm-scale grid coordinates to m-scale grid coordinates.

Edited by da12thMonkey

1. make sure your max units are defined. Make sure both your display and systems units are set in meters (or in a metric system for that matter, altough on import you'll need to make the conversion). (customize -> units setup)

2. you have a set of options set for obj export from max. Have some fiddle with it and then create a o2 profile. Check your normals in max as well, those might be inverted there as well if you have used mirror

I always export as a .3ds file from 3dsMax. Personal preference, and I don't ever have a problem.

Allright cheers for the advice ill try to sort it out later. I used to export as .3ds file but I got an error with this vest so thats why I used .obj :)

Okay ive messed around with this got the scale and invert-ion sorted but when i put it in game its still engulfs the player?

Okay ive messed around with this got the scale and invert-ion sorted but when i put it in game its still engulfs the player?

Picture? I'm not sure what you mean. it's distorted or way bigger than the player?