Sign in to follow this  
Rickybobby

Someone help me with skin models and vehicles

Hi guys im a total noob to this and am extremely overwhelmed with different programs to make models and skins for arma 3. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to what programs i need and tutorials for them? I am planning on making my own skins for the characters in arma 3 and new models for vehicles like humvees and helicopters and things. Not sure if this is even the correct place to post this lol but yeah thanks in advance. :D

Firstly, I'd say that for a first project, make sure to have smaller goals so that you don't end up overwhelming yourself with work.

The Modding Characters Wiki page from the Character Modding Thread is probably a good place to start if you haven't seen it already. Should be all the info you need there for re-texturing the infantry models in A3. Most of the tools you'll need can be found if you follow the first of the two links. As for the actual texture editing, some like Photoshop or GIMP do the job well.

For modelling, although you can do it in Oxygen 2 (one of the tools you'll need to install from the first link), it's better to use a third party modelling program such as 3DS Max or Blender. If you have no model experience and aren't looking to spend any money on a modelling program (like 3DS Max), then blender is probably the way to go. SHould be tons of tutorials on youtube too.

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Firstly, I'd say that for a first project, make sure to have smaller goals so that you don't end up overwhelming yourself with work.

The Modding Characters Wiki page from the Character Modding Thread is probably a good place to start if you haven't seen it already. Should be all the info you need there for re-texturing the infantry models in A3. Most of the tools you'll need can be found if you follow the first of the two links. As for the actual texture editing, some like Photoshop or GIMP do the job well.

For modelling, although you can do it in Oxygen 2 (one of the tools you'll need to install from the first link), it's better to use a third party modelling program such as 3DS Max or Blender. If you have no model experience and aren't looking to spend any money on a modelling program (like 3DS Max), then blender is probably the way to go. SHould be tons of tutorials on youtube too.

The link for oxygen actually dosnt work lol o.O

Programs for modelling: Blender, or 3dsMax would be my recommendation.

Reskinning: Adobe Photoshop cs6,cs5,cs4 etc.

Where can I find the vehicle templates? I am trying to skin the offroad but dont know where to find the templates to skin with PS?

Thanks

Henry

Just answered your question in the other thread you posted about this.

hi fellas

Firstly Rickybobby i hope you don't mind me using your thread, thought it saves starting a new one and clogging forum as im in the same place as you, total nooby and haven't really got the spare cash to spend on photo shop.

so im after someone who speaks and understands English who can make a few skins for the default vehicles in arma3 and if they can do clothing as well that what be even better but that's not as important through, main thing is vehicles!. Hoping once they are done i can pass it to the server owner and he can get them on the server for my gang called G4S ......can probably guess what skins im after now :), would be great if i could watch on teamviewer sometimes and learn a bit if you don't mind of course.

Let me know if anyone or more would like to take the offer up and we can talk about it more, would be much appreciated ;)

Kind Regards

Max

Edited by GAV-MAX

you can use gimp for textures, its free and has many features of photoshop (not all mind).

total nooby

thats not an excuse. If you are nooby, start learning and get better.

Edited by Fennek

ah okay, thanks for your quick reply and advice. haha which i had more time on my plate.

maybe il have to look at it next month if im going to do it myself :(

cheers max

Hey dude , i just started a tutorial small series , in wich i'm explaining you what program you need , what they are used to , and then editing !

If you're talking about re-texturing skins then take a look at this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuHHyx1bZkw to set up the programs , if you're talking about modeling vehicles,weapons,etc. then that's something i can't help with .