Sign in to follow this  
doveman

Which way is the modline read?

I've always understood the modline was read left to right, for example

mod=D:\Games\ArmA 2;expansion;expansion\beta\expansion;@CBA_CO;@JSRS

However, now the author of All in Arma, .kju, tells me this is wrong and it's actually read right to left and has been since OFP http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152706-All-in-Arma-(AiA)-TKOH-OA-A2-A1-merge-with-A3&p=2431732&viewfull=1#post2431732

although that seems somewhat contradicted by his recommended modline

-mod=_CUSTOM_MODS;@AllInArma\ProductDummies;c:\path\to\Arma1\DBE1;c:\path\to\Arma1;@AllInArma\A1Dummies;c:\path\to\Arma2;c:\path\to\Arrowhead;c:\path\to\Arrowhead\Expansion;c:\path\to\TakOH;@A1A2ObjectMerge;C:\arma3alpha;@AllInArma\Core;@AllInArma\PostA3"

which has PostA3 to the right of Arma3. I'm not sure if any Arrowhead content supersedes Arma2 content but if so, Arma2 should surely be to the right of Arrowhead\Expansion if it is read right to left.

This would mean that PlayWithSix is doing it wrong, as the rpt shows

mod=D:\Games\ArmA 2;s:\arma2-ram;expansion;S:\Arma2OA\Expansion-RAM;expansion\beta;expansion\beta\expansion;@CBA_CO;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNavy;@JayArma2Lib;@ACRE;@UOMods;@UOMaps

ArmaII Launcher does the same

The S:\ folders are my RAMDisk and ArmA certainly loads faster with that modline, which rather suggests that it's being read left to right and that the RAMDisk folders are superseding the HDD ones.

So I'm just totally confused now and don't know where I should be putting CBA and JSRS in the modline.

As you don't believe me, use procmon to see it yourself or just check the rpt..

In my experience, the last thing in the command line switch seems to take precedence over the things coming before it (left to right). I also think that the requiredpbo token in cfgpatches can alter how mods are loaded.

;2433138']As you don't believe me' date=' use procmon to see it yourself or just check the rpt..[/quote']

I have looked at the rpt and have posted an example modline from it above.

in A3 as said

;2433415']in A3 as said

Not sure what that means, but you said it's been the same since OFP.

Only A3 lists the pbo loading order.

;2433425']Only A3 lists the pbo loading order.

Ah, OK. Even so, we can see from the RPT what modline PwS and ArmA Launcher are using for A2 and if, as you say, it's read right to left, then they're using the wrong order.

Anyway, hopefully we can get a definitive statement from the devs on the modline loading order for A2 and A3, as it seems we can't be sure what it is for A2 from the RPT.

There is no right or wrong. It all depends on the purpose / goal.

You won't get a statement from the devs. You can easily check it yourself as explained multiple times now.

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

;2433454']There is no right or wrong. It all depends on the purpose goal.

You won't get a statement from the devs. You can easily check it yourself as explained multiple times now.

You're just being daft now! Of course there's a right way. The ArmA executable must be programmed to process the modline in a certain way and I'm sure the devs (or someone else who knows for sure) can confirm for us which way that is.

You could, for example, make a simple config for a vehicle that replaces its texture with one colour, then another with another colour, and then put them both in the mod= line and see which shows up... or any simple test like that.

You could, for example, make a simple config for a vehicle that replaces its texture with one colour, then another with another colour, and then put them both in the mod= line and see which shows up... or any simple test like that.

I could, if I knew which mods do things like that but I don't and I can't believe that someone doesn't know the answer to this quite basic question after all these years of people playing and modding ArmA.

I do know the answer, but kju insists something different. Since kju is also a smart guy, perhaps it would be best to experiment.

I do know the answer, but kju insists something different. Since kju is also a smart guy, perhaps it would be best to experiment.

Well from that I can extract that you know that it's read left to right (although as you suggest that kju might be right and I should experiment, perhaps you only believe this and aren't sure enough to say you know), which is what everything else I've read supports. If kju has some information that contradicts all that, then perhaps he'd like to share it but until he provides some concrete evidence to support his opinion, I can only assume that he's mistaken.

although as you suggest that kju might be right and I should experiment, perhaps you only believe this and aren't sure enough to say you know

That's how I used to use the config line for years, back when I used to use the command line switch. I can't remember ever having behaviour I didn't expect to make me doubt which way the command line is read. If I was to use it again today, I would use it as if it was read from left to right. However, Kju has some credibility and what he says is usually not to be dismissed. One of us is wrong, both of us are experienced users, so therefore it would be nice to make sure. That said, like I said, if I was to use the command line switch today, I would be using it under the assumption it's read from left to right.