Sign in to follow this  
spanishsurfer

MI-48 and Commanche have no warning of incoming AA Missile

Anyone else noticing that helis are not announcing a warning of an incoming missile? I have no tone and I have no warning on the radar. This was confirmed with TITAN AA and RPG AA at MI48 and Blackfoot (Comanche) on several different CTI servers.

Also, I am unable to change the countermeasure type from burst...There should be a single/burst option and I heard someone mention an auto function as well, but none of it is cycling for me.

Anyone noticing this?

VOTE Here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10399

english!

the mi49 has a radarsignal 4 incomming missile (its a big M on radar)

but i dosnt hear any sounds 4 any missileluncher lock on or released missiles like (if somebody target ur with a guided roket it should be like ,pip pip pip if the missile is released ist should be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!!!!!

that would help the chopers to not be so easely taken out be infantry and the should be on low difficult setting the option to automaticly release flares if a missile is comming

last time i killed a comanche during 3 burst flare drops with a aa rpg missile in this case the flares didnt to nothing so even if he try to counter me he fail maybe there are more missile on him i dont know but this is way to easy :P

another point is why is the mi48 4 ground targets and the comanche 4 air i mean if some comanche goes airbore they will clear the sky in no time what can the russians do if their chopper are not able to engage air target with missiles ?

is there any way to balance that ? kind of give every armee a aa chopper and a ag chopper !

german!

mi48 hat ein M aufn radar wenn eine missile kommt

hab aber schone en comanche abgeschossen mit rpg aa der 3 burst flares hinter einander gemacht hat, ohne erfolg das ist viel zu einfach

eine warnung wenn man aufgeschaltet wird und eine wenn die missile kommt wäre hier nützlich + auto countermessure (automatischer flare abwurf) für leichten schwierigkeitsgrad oder sowas

desweiteren warum is der mi 48 für ground und der comanche gegen air wenn da nicht noch en gegen stück für jede seite kommt macht das doch wennig sinn , man stelle sich nur vor paar comanche kommen säubern die himmel und die russen sind am popo

Edited by NeoGenesis

I'm not entirely surprised there's not a warning tone, if an IR missile is fired at you IRL there's no warning either.

Technology will not be very different than it is now in the Militery. Arma does not need artificial balance as the devs have said, natural balance will work instead. As for these AA rockets, if possible the launch signatures should be detected with an alarm as well, and the ability to have the helicopter auto deploy flares and chaffs as in real life.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

its not about how is it today is about balancing and the future setting in arma 3

One side will always be better than the other, the setting of Arma 3 means Blufor could easily be the underdogs. Playing as the underdogs just mean you have to out smart the enemy, and if you can't do that you loose, simple as that.

Two links with a small summary of what each defense system does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIRCM

The DIRCM puts a laser on the IR threat causing the missile to miss.

http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/ANAAR54/Pages/default.aspx

This is a missile warning system and can be interfaced to a chaff or DIRCM

Now these are systems that are around today, and could be alot better in the future. With that in mind, who is to say that the AA missile systems will not also be more effective in the future?

Reviving this Thread since this is still an issue.

Im concerned that there is still no audio warning for missile lock-ons 1 month before release...

I keep getting shot down on multiplayer servers because i miss a rocket launch while im doing some risky flying maneuvers and did not look on the radar for 1 second (staring on it all the time is not fun either)

Please dont forget to add this, take the old sounds from Arma 2, I dont care.

I hate to bring a thread back from the dead.  I really am committing the ultimate forum crime, however it will not let me create my own thread and I'd rather not post for postings sake to create a new one, especially since this thread has a particularly good Google reputation and is practically exactly what I am experiencing.

Real life examples aside, ARMA3 helicopters (some at least) come equipped with alarms/warnings that notify you of an incoming ground to air or air to air missile launch.  The lack of this particularly important sound (for me at least) is still a problem, even after a fresh install of Windows and the entire game.  What is really weird, is that it can be intermittent.  The Blackfoot seems to suffer the most, but other helicopters seem to be missing this warning tone, or AA alarm for me.  I see the incoming missile on the radar, but it's often too late by the time I'm on the flares.

Does anyone have a possible solution 3 years on that I may have missed in my desperate search through the internet?  Do the developers or modders know of a particular file responsible for this alarm, so I can delete it and re-download it through Steam's file verification system?

Troubleshooting steps I have taken:

- I happened to have wiped windows and reinstalled ARMA

- I have changed sound fidelity in the settings, from 16 through 128 without any significant difference

- I have tried different servers

- AI shooting rockets vs players shooting rockets seem to make zero difference

I can't think of anything else to test.

Thank you in advance, soldier!

EDIT:  I completed the advanced helicopter training in the VR in which you are supposed to dodge an AA missile with countermeasures.  I heard the alarm, much to my surprise.  I decided to try another server and again, to my surprise I heard the alarm once again.  I tried yet another server and funnily enough, the alarm had returned.  However, I returned to the server I usually play on with no mods enabled (same as the other servers, running an identical mission) and no warning what-so-ever.  I get the red on the radar, but no audio alarm.

Could be it be disabled in the mission file on this one particular server?  The operator tells me it is impossible, but who knows if someone is taking advantage of my ignorance.

On 3/15/2016 at 4:27 AM, David3D said:

I hate to bring a thread back from the dead.  I really am committing the ultimate forum crime, however it will not let me create my own thread and I'd rather not post for postings sake to create a new one, especially since this thread has a particularly good Google reputation and is practically exactly what I am experiencing.

Real life examples aside, ARMA3 helicopters (some at least) come equipped with alarms/warnings that notify you of an incoming ground to air or air to air missile launch.  The lack of this particularly important sound (for me at least) is still a problem, even after a fresh install of Windows and the entire game.  What is really weird, is that it can be intermittent.  The Blackfoot seems to suffer the most, but other helicopters seem to be missing this warning tone, or AA alarm for me.  I see the incoming missile on the radar, but it's often too late by the time I'm on the flares.

Does anyone have a possible solution 3 years on that I may have missed in my desperate search through the internet?  Do the developers or modders know of a particular file responsible for this alarm, so I can delete it and re-download it through Steam's file verification system?

Troubleshooting steps I have taken:

- I happened to have wiped windows and reinstalled ARMA

- I have changed sound fidelity in the settings, from 16 through 128 without any significant difference

- I have tried different servers

- AI shooting rockets vs players shooting rockets seem to make zero difference

I can't think of anything else to test.

Thank you in advance, soldier!

EDIT:  I completed the advanced helicopter training in the VR in which you are supposed to dodge an AA missile with countermeasures.  I heard the alarm, much to my surprise.  I decided to try another server and again, to my surprise I heard the alarm once again.  I tried yet another server and funnily enough, the alarm had returned.  However, I returned to the server I usually play on with no mods enabled (same as the other servers, running an identical mission) and no warning what-so-ever.  I get the red on the radar, but no audio alarm.

Could be it be disabled in the mission file on this one particular server?  The operator tells me it is impossible, but who knows if someone is taking advantage of my ignorance.

If you are flying in a threat rich enviornment at a high enough altitude that you can be tracked and locked with an IR or radar missile, you deserve to get shot down. 

You will get a warning when someone locks you up with a radar guided missile (due to you being lit up with the radar waves RWR).

IR is a passive sensor (it only reads what you give off) that will not warn you.

don't fly like this guy, high helos make for an easy target.

(about video): when he pulls the rod, liquid nitrogen is cooling the warhead so that it can get a good lock, the guy holding the camera was counting to 10.

The way to avoid getting shot down by manpads etc. is to fly as low as you can and use the terrain to mask yourself. 

By flying low and using trees etc. you won't be visible long enough for someone to get a lock.

IRL flares are the equivalent to cross walk buttons, (they just make you feel better) they have been made obsolete by the advanced IR/UV seekers in today's missiles. missiles today don't lock on to the "hottest" target, when you lock they remember the specific heat heat cross section that you locked on to, throwing out flares that even match temperature won't match the size of the object that was locked and the missile will ignore them. They also don't need to "hit" they just need to get within a set range, and depending on the type of missile will direct the "explosion" or "expanding - rod" into the target.

I will say that the time to equip, lock, and fire an AA missile is much too short.

TLDR; don't be bad fly low, if they lock and fire on you, you let them do it.