Sign in to follow this  
person915

Tutorial Error, Need Slight Programming Help! (Visitor 3 Related, Believe it or Not)

Please read more below on the copy-pasted post, which fully explains the problem and asks for assistance in fixing it, and has a link to an "evidence post" with the same problem, and same vague solution which doesn't contribute at all, but let's me know what I'm dealing with, atleast.

It is copy-pasted from my DayZ forum account and can be found here: dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/139478-programming-help-needed-to-fix-an-error

*BEGIN COPIED CONTENT*

I'll cut to the point. I've deduced and tested and I know exactly what problem I face, but near nothing of how to fix it.

I'm trying to make an ArmA 2 map. To get set up and acquianted with it, I'm using this tutorial:

community.bis...errain_Tutorial

Go pretty far down to the Import Satellite and Mask section.

Here, it says:

1: Go to Tools -> Import Satellite + Mask.. and browse to P:\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\Source\layer.cfg.

2: Select text mode for saving the rvmats in the next window.

3: Visitor asks now for the SAT file, so browse to P:\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\Source\sat_lco.png.

4: Same with the Mask - point it to P:\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\Source\mask_lco.png.

5: The import process begins right after you hit OK.

The issue is that the mask_lco.png cannot be loaded. I do ask the tutorial says, select the layer.cfg as text, select the sat_lco THEN the mask_lco, and it gives me the error:

Error loading 'p:\tut\tut_samplemap\source\mask_lco.png"

This can be traced back to the layer.cfg, which is written in Java programming language. The .cfg content is as follows:

class Layers

{

class sm_grass

{

texture = "tut\tut_samplemap\data\sm_grass_mco.png";

material= "tut\tut_samplemap\data\sm_grass.rvmat";

};

};

class Legend

{

picture="tut\tut_samplemap\source\mapLegend.png";

class Colors

{

sm_grass[]={{255,255,255}};

};

};

The problem seems to be that one of the classes is declared wrong, so it fails loading the mask_lco.png when I tell it to, or atleast in my mind, that's what's going on, because somehow that makes sense (because I dunno what else it could be). Though more experienced programmers will know what it is in entirety.

Evidence of this is also here, on this thread, with a fellow who appears to be having the same problem on the same tutorial as me, but is not gracious enough to tell just HOW the problem is fixed:

forums.bistud...sat-mask-import

He says there was a class declared wrong somewhere in the layers.cfg. That "somewhere" is not specified, and even if I knew where it was, I would not know how to fix it. So...

....what do I do to fix my layers.cfg so I can continue on my tutorial and journey to making amazing things?

ALL help regarding this issue is appreciated. Thank you.

*END COPIED CONTENT*

I hope this thread will solve the issue once and for all of vague answers for trying to fix it and help the people who want to make a map but just don't know the language quite yet because they're using a tutorial and the tutorial is WRONG....

Edited by person915

You did this step, correct?

7: Open Tools -> ProjectPreferences.

8: Enter the path to your data folder (textures), like: P:\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\Data\.

9: Click ok and close.

Then also try to open to mask_lco with photoshop or whatever you have just to make sure it does open and is not corupted.

That layers config you have up there looks fine.

Edited by M1lkm8n

You did this step, correct?

7: Open Tools -> ProjectPreferences.

8: Enter the path to your data folder (textures), like: P:\TUT\TUT_SampleMap\Data\.

9: Click ok and close.

Yeah, I did that step, and checked it, and it's correct, but there's a problem. You see, it says to register your own OFPEC tag and put that as your folder. When it looks for the mask_lco it looks for a TUT folder, while mine is named after my tag, so of course it can't find it. I can try renaming it, but it might mess it up. I'm really not sure.

My texture folder directory is set to search in MY project folder's name, so I've not an idea why it's still trying to find it with a TUT folder name. I'll see what I can do.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Got it, though another part of the problem was a repeated p:/ in the dir for the textures folder. I'm going to see if it finishes importing the data.

Edit: Worked. You're awesome.

Thanks for your help!

Ahhhh there's your problem.

The name tag doesn't have much to do until the end result and you go to throw it up on the web. The name tag is so your mod and others don't conflict. If you have the project in another folder structure like say , bob\tut_samplemap then all the rvmats and configs need to represent that.

So instead of tut\tut_samplemap it would need to be bob\tut_samplemap

So you can either change it back just until you get it working or go through and change all the rvmats and config files.

With the rvmats if you right click and open in text editor you'll see what I mean by the pathings.

I would suggest just doing it exactly as the tutorial has it. Then once you get that down go through and try altering things.

-edit

You see when you change the layout structure it's pointing towards files that don't exist because the path is wrong

Edited by M1lkm8n