Sign in to follow this  
Skutch05

High end Arma 2 server (Wasteland) looking for guidance on basic.cfg

Good day all,

I'm having some difficulty reading through the following page / determining what settings to use...

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/basic.cfg

Server Specs:

Two Intel Xeon E5-2690 processors (sixteen physical 2.9ghz cores on QPI + hyperthreading + turbo->3.8ghz)

96 GB registered DDR3 ECC memory

Dual 180GB Intel SSD's

2TB Storage/Backup Drive

40000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth (20 gigabit backend)

Currently Running:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=1;

Resolution_W=800;

Resolution_H=600;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Windowed=0;

viewDistance=3000;

terrainGrid=25;

MaxMsgSend=32;

MaxSizeGuaranteed=1024;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;

MinBandwidth=76800000;

MaxBandwidth=10000000000;

MinErrorToSend=0.001;

MinErrorToSendNear=0.0099999998;

MaxCustomFileSize=0;

Thank you very much in advanced for any input you may provide!

-Skutch05

Edited by Skutch05

sounds like bmrf server.....

Few things u sould know about ARMA

1. Uses 2 gb of ram max

2. Uses 2 cores max

3. Hypertreading hurts it and it needs more ghz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html your cpu is like 30th place i wouldn't call it high end !

As far as config play only with minbandwith and maxmessages and minerrortosend everything else should be default.

Edited by johnsm

sounds like bmrf server.....

lol, apparently your server specs are famous Skutch ;)

Yeah, look I am in a similar boat, in that we have a very busy Wasteland server on what is rather high end bandwidth and looking to optimise as much as possible (in my case I can't boast the same CPU/RAM benchmarks because ours is a VPS on Amazon, but the bandwidth/connectivity is still about as good as it gets here in Australia).

Just from what I have managed to to decipher in all of these threads (about basic.cfg voodoo), it seems that the most pertinent details besides bandwidth are actually the number of slots you are running and what kind of client msgs quantity you have ... and with wasteland both of those are quite high. We mostly run 60-70 slots (full) and the wasteland code is littered with publicvariables and other non-stop broadcast noise to/from all clients.

Anyway, I thought I should mention this since so many of the posts about super awesome basic.cfg setups always seem to be for some 30 slot domination or standard mission server.

Can anyone suggest good settings for 60-70 slots with high msg traffic (assuming bandwidth wasn't an issue)?

I updated my basic.cfg file to this:

MaxMsgSend=16384;
MinBandwidth=100428800;
MaxBandwidth=104857600;
MinErrorToSend=0.0049999999;
MaxCustomFileSize=160000;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=93750;
Resolution_W=0;
Resolution_H=0;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Windowed=0;

Max size of the server 75 on Arma 2 Wasteland. I haven't had many reports of lag, some so I think there is still room for some improvement on this file.

Have you made any improvements to your basic.cfg since the last update? My hardware specs aren't as impressive as yours but with Arma's limitations, I should be able to get pretty close to the same performance.

e3-1240v2 - 3.3ghz - Disabled hyperthreading

16Gb DDR3

1Gbit network link, seeing ~350mbps down and ~130mbps up with a steady 40 ms ping

I was using the config from Kelly's Heroes guide and seeing massive desync with only 20 players. After using the config you just posted, I am still seeing a bit of desync with 30 people connected.

I have to ask, why do you have $15000 worth of server hardware for games?, when you could spend 2000 and get the same performance and run just as many.

Or are you a 1% and just let someone take you to the cleaners when you said you wanted a server

NFO Pricing LOL....You must be insane to pay $850 p/m

:hang:

You can get three servers (You would only need one anyway...) from OVH for the price you are paying, More cores (Faster too) & plus you would get mitigation.

NFO Pricing LOL....You must be insane to pay $850 p/m

:hang:

You can get three servers (You would only need one anyway...) from OVH for the price you are paying, More cores (Faster too) & plus you would get mitigation.

We don't run only 3 servers. We currently are running 18 (and are only at 50% usage on the box). This is a legit server box, not a pre-setup server.

I updated my basic.cfg file to this:

MaxMsgSend=16384;
MinBandwidth=100428800;
MaxBandwidth=104857600;
MinErrorToSend=0.0049999999;
MaxCustomFileSize=160000;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=93750;
Resolution_W=0;
Resolution_H=0;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Windowed=0;

Max size of the server 75 on Arma 2 Wasteland. I haven't had many reports of lag, some so I think there is still room for some improvement on this file.

would these settings be good for a dayz server? Also, does the TIME you run a server for (i.e. matter when doing the basic.cfg)?