Sign in to follow this  
Ryan1

Question

How would i learn to mod, more specific : I want to make guns where do i start?

Any help is appreciated.

- thank you.

Okay, but i understand theres a bunch of stuff that goes with this, such as opening a pbo doing stuff with configs, etc , etc.

Any tutorials focused on my questions?

Yes it is :) but i recommend to wait with all that to your gun is ready :) It,s so much other things first :) Otherwise you can read this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvx1hipasw...20Tutorial.zip a guide when you are ready with your 3d model. And will make it into arma.

That link does not work :L

One great way to gain some knowledge is downloading the BIS tools and the ArmA1 sample models package found somewhere. You can then open models with Oxygen2 (BIS modeling tool) and look at how many ArmA1 models were made, and they're not too different from ArmA3 stuff. If you know how to make 3d models from scratch first, it's a big plus.

Alternately, you could also practice using a model such as this which is under a "CC Zero" license, not least because the uploader outright said " you may use it for whatever you want, if you want to credit me then go ahead but you dont have too."

For an "Arma 3-standard" weapon to learn from/with, though, you can check out Kiory's SA80/L85 RIS, most notably because "the source files" are available for perusal to learn from! (The modder said on YouTube that it's a L85A2 with accessory rails.) He's also released some Arma 3 weapons modeling tutorials here.

ToadBall's M16A4 Example that Kiory mentioned can be found here; in this case, using the Arma 1 and Arma 2 sample models he created a basic M16A4 for Arma 3 compatible with the Arma 3 official (dev-made) attachments, and he "included the MLOD, model.cfg and config.cpp files used in the addon as a seperate download so that it could maybe be a bit of help to those looking at incorporating the new features into their weapon addon/s." (Note that these files "are being released under the same licence that the donor sample models were.")

@chortles: looking at other people work can only give you an idea about what needs to be done to get a particular mesh into the game (which is important, no q about it). but you won't learn to model by watching othet people work. you need first hand experience for it.

@op: get a modelling software, one that has a big userbase, and start whipping something simple like a hand gun. you'll learn a lot nore by doing something that by watching a generic yt tut video

As PuFu says. You need to learn by yourself. For me it took around 3 years to make that models I show today. (I am self taught in my spraretime) To learn to master the most tools for good high poly work, baking and so on.