Sign in to follow this  
Folke

Beginners missions ?

Good evening Arma friends

I just wonder if there are some missions available for a Newbie like me ?. I'm trying to become one with Arma 3. Up to now I have just used the editor and put some soldiers so I can train moving and shooting.

But if there are somewhere I could find some "rookie" missions to exercise and get some routine before throwing myself into the multiplayer fights? Or if someone has any other good ideas how to become a skilled Arma player? Have a good time and hope to see you on Stratis..:bounce3:

I'm a newbie, too, and after a bit of practice in the editor, I just started trying single-player missions. I tend to die pretty quickly, but it's more fun. And now I'm playing some co-op missions with another guy, again just trying different ones. (Co-op is a lot more fun than single-player, even when you've got just one other guy. But you need to find people who want to play the same way you do and - usually - in a similar timezone.)

Re. specific missions, first there's "Skirmish at Marina Bay," which is a two-person mission (which can also be played single-player) that just spawns enemies in Agia Marina. You quickly re-spawn after every death, too. So there's no real mission there and no ending, but it's useful for training purposes. Play a little while until you get bored, then move on. There are 3 helicopters you can fly, too, if you want, though they don't have weapons.

For single-player missions, I enjoyed "Dark Seals" ("Seals in the Dark"?), "Snakes in the Grass," and "Who Stole My Souvlaki?" As a newbie, I like short, simple missions. "Ground Attack" is a simple helicopter mission, though I'm hopelessly inept at flying helicopters, myself.

"Operation Zap" is a co-op mission which can be played SP (order your troops to hold fire and sneak past the truck). For co-op, I really enjoyed "Operation Fallen Star," although it was mighty tough with just two guys. Still, I had a blast with that one. "Operation Morning Owl" was fun, too, despite a few issues (grenades wouldn't work until I rearmed at an enemy corpse, and you don't start with scopes for your rifles).

In "Birds Down," you hold out for 30 minutes against constant attack by impossibly accurate enemies. Two of us completed the mission after respawning around 50 times. Heh, heh. But it was pretty good shooting (and grenade) practice. As a newbie, I like missions with quick respawns, not because I want to play this like a first-person shooter, but because I need the practice. I'm just not good enough to get through very much of a mission, otherwise.

I hope this is useful. Take this with a grain of salt, as it's just advice from a newbie to a newbie, however, even when you're a complete newbie, co-op play is a lot of fun. And it's been my experience that other players don't care if you're skilled, as long as you're willing to play sensibly. Follow orders, watch your flank, try to work as a team, communicate effectively, etc. - it's lots of fun whether you're any good at it or not.

Funny story: I played with the Comrades in Arms group (who are not in my timezone, so I don't play with them much) in one mission where I was the last person to die - no respawns - yet I never spotted an enemy throughout the entire mission. They were all around us, in cover, and being a complete newbie, I was just struggling to watch my flank. I ended up as the last player alive, until I was cut down from bullets coming from two directions at once. But I never even shot my rifle the entire time! Heh, heh. I felt like such an incompetent! But it was still fun, and no one ever said a word at how inept I'd been.

Good luck!

Bill

PS. I think all of those missions can be found here, except maybe "Who Stole My Souvlaki?" which I got from the Comrades in Arms forum.

Very good input, WCG, thanks for writing that up.

I too enjoyed the "Skirmish at Marina Bay" mission both in coop and SP. And even more when I edited the mission to have helicopters that have weapons, suddenly you could have one man in the air providing CAS for you on the ground. Pretty intense being down there, when the hellfires pour down, heh.

Of course not the balance that the mission maker was after, but another kind of fun for me :)

-OP

You can give Urban Conquest a try. It's a pretty good mission for high intensity battle that will help you cut your teeth on learning the shooting/movement mechanics and it gives you a pretty good feel for the best way to pop in and out of cover effectively. It's also got a pretty no hassle recruiting system so you can practice ordering a squad around in the middle of a fierce firefight.

Cheers :D

Thanks guys.. I threw myself into these ! PERFECT ! Just what I need ! Now I know how to find missions as well so Im very happy.

Soon I hope to dare to sneak myself into a server.

Have a wonderful day all ! ;)